Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Rope Lure

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  breadboy 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I have read about using a piece of rope as a lure, all coursed with a knife, that will catch gar when they strike and their teeth catch. I was wondering, how big should it be and how do you tie the dadgum thing on? It looks like fun and if you guys have used it before, I would like to here how it did. Thanks.

#2 ·
I think that there is probaly an article on here somwhere describing it, if I were you, I would just try som different lengths of rope 2-6 inches and see what works for you.

Aaron

TA2D

#6 ·
I tie these up fro my fly rod all the time and even do a few guided trips a year for floks for our local Longnose population.
I like a lure that is about 5" total and there are several ways to tie it to the line but most folks do it a really simple way by unraveling the rope and using about 5 subsections about 10" long and then snake them through a big "O" ring, and then on the other side, use thread ( I like RED) to since it down real tight behind the O ring, another secret is to use a lighter and singe the bottom just a hair to clog the nylon rope. Now I usually tie all my flies off at the head streamer style but that is more time and work, Give it a try, Im sure youll have fun with it, also dont set the hook, just let them load the rod and slowly lift up ont hem, otherwise youll jerk the lure out of his mouth

Good Garring!
Salmonid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.