Roosevelt Trip

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by topjimmy, Jun 11, 2006.

1. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Roosevelt sucks!

It was windy as heck, the lake was nothing but stick ups. All our stuff was blowing away, and there were no good camping spots.

We ditched out and went to Bartlett on Friday night after being at Roosevelt in the afternoon, and after that a good time was had by all.

I'm sure Mikey will rant about it in detail.

The biggest fish caught was a 5 pound channel. We caught cats, gills, carp, and bass.

Anyway, here are the pics I took.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=551270843&security=KyWNdj

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Sorry dude~
    I had a bad feeling about the trip. I went to Bartlett Saturday and LIT 'EM UP.

3. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I saw that, that was awesome. I wish we did that well... congrats!

4. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    topjimmy, next time at roosy try to paint a clean area to fish in the river section this will be the original river bed/channel no snags. It hard for me to not go to bartlett because it's sort of a home ground and seems to alway provide some fun. Roosy has very big cats I think it's just learning it for us newbies there.

5. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Roosie is a huge lake. THere are much more areas to fish.
    ~ Across from Windy Hill has coves with flats that drop into the main channel.
    ~ In colder months I have gotten some big bites in deep water in or right near the channel, and in the warmer months, closer to shore works well. While the bite seems tougher @ Roosie, I think that there are so many more larger cats which dominate larger teritories, keeping smaller fish, or other flatheads away.
    The largest I got from Roosy was a 17lber, my buddy has gotten them well over 20lbs.
    AZCAT MAN~ 65 freak'in pounds!!! He let that sucker go too. He must be well
    over 70lbs by now. (BETTER GET A BIGGER HOOK!)

~ One more thing to consider, THere are probably 50x more carp in that lake than gills. Big bait, big fish might be the big ticket. These cats are eating carp on a regular basis.

~ Don't give up on Roosie, they are there. It takes time and many failed efforts to get it right.

A~

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona

THats a nice channel cat. Night crawlers?

What area of the lake did you fish? (Bartlett)

7. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    The channel was caught on live bluegill.

We were in a cove just beyond the no wake buoys on the upper end of the lake, before ship rock.

8. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Martinman took me in his boat up to Roosevelt Saturday night! We went up the river as far as we could and fished a channel. He caught 2 eating size flatheads and a nice channel. I ended up catching my first self-caught flathead, 5lbs on a bluegill head. Overall, it was an awesome trip. Yeah, the wind sucked all day, but as soon as the sun went down the water went placid.

9. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I had a decent time at Roosy over the weekend. Caught a few fish and tried to stay out away from everyone else.

There are a few things that are disturbing me about the lake right now though...the water level is so much lower. It is kind of depressing to see it now versus last year. I had a blast last year because I was able to fish in so many different places. The second thing is the water temps. The water is so hot right now you can barely keep anything alive. Maybe that is just me.

Overall, I had fun. It was good to meet up with Tony and Mark. You guys did quite well. Congrats again on the fish. We also met up with some other people, just in passing though.

I liked some of the comments about Roosy. It is a nice lake. There are some monsters that come out of there. Sometimes it just takes a lot more work and patience before we get what we're looking for. I am still hunting for the monster flathead.

Martinman

10. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just got back from Rosey and we caught one and had one other run. The one we caught was 29 lb even. Fished the river channel up the Salt and there is hardly a problem with hang ups. It is only going to get better at the lake so my advice to you all is to just keep trying. I started fishing for flats seriously 3 years ago and it took quite a few trips before we started having success. This is the 5th trip in a row that we have caught fish dating back to last year. Just keep after it and you will find fish. I would hate to guess the dollar amount I have invested in lost tackle,gas and everything else but it has been money well spent. If it wasn't such a long haul I would sure like to try Bartlett sometime. Another sleeper is Apache Lake. That is a underfished flathead lake for sure just don't know it at all.

11. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona

12. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I also forgot to mention that we were told by the nice owner at the bait shop the the water level will be lowered to 50% capicity by Aug. Even more of a reason for mr to stay away.

13. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Sorry to hear you all had such a bad experience. Hopefully I'll have a few pic's to post this summer from Rosey and maybe they will get you to change your minds. But if I lived in the valley I might be partial to Bartlett also. It is just too long of a haul for me. I've only been there once and I really liked the looks of it. Just too much city driving to get there for this country boy!!!

14. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Tom I have never had luck there and it seems to be a cursed lake at least for me. I suppose it just depends on what your used too. I dont disagree that Rosey is no doubt the best flathead lake in the state. I just didnt have a good experience and I was reminded that the last time I went there with my father in law we had the same problems and decided to leave for Bartlett. No matter we still had a good time with some good friends and to me that is what its all about. Sure was an expensive gas bill:sad2: though with all the driving we did.

15. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Mike, I guess all I was trying to say was don't give up on it. I had many trips there that were alot like yours before it all came together. We just kept at and it is just now starting to pay off for us. But I will admit it was very frustrating at the beginning.

16. AZHUNTER

AZHUNTER New Member

State:
    ARIZONA

your right apache dose have some flat heads in it g&f just did a servey a month ago an pulled a 45lbs flat head out an other small cats

17. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    you were right where I was friday night , I was tied off to a tree just above the buoys before you get to shiprock , got two channels , 3 and 4 pounds , one on live bluegill on a large bober and one on cut bluegill, bober one surprised me , only had it set about 2ft deep in 10 ft of water , we probably saw each other , I was in a white, teal, and black astro bass boat

18. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    We were in a 27ft Party Barge toon with a green binimi top. We beached in the big cove right where it turns towards ship rock. Thats a shame that we didnt meet up out there. There was a boat about 65 yards down from our cove to where the small island is. They were anchored in open water. I think there was a blond female on board. Was that you or where you further down towards ship rock? I dont recall the color of the boat. TopJimmy was also out in a green scanoo dropping our baits about 25-50 yards out from the cove and cruising around shiprock.

19. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    I was up a little towards shiprock and I did see your toon and the scanoo on the beach on the way out , I'll be out at bartlett friday and sat with the wife and kids , if I see you out there I'll give a holler

20. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Well I wont be there as I have prior commitments. Need a break every once in a while...I guess... I am debating whether or not I want to brave the 4th of July weekend on the lake. Maybe go up Fri and stake out a area and stay untill Mon and beat all the traffic back. Still in the planning stages. I am tryng to make it a family get together. We shall see what happens. Good luck this weekend!!! Wish I was out there!!! Let us know how you did.