Roosevelt Lake

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by lonny, Oct 25, 2008.

1. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az
    Flatheads are hit and miss at rosey hookeda goodone on 10-22-08 broke off though. 10-23-08 got skunked. 10-24-08.put a 49 pounder in the boat and a 15 pounder.channels hittin good also.

2. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    What ya been catching them on? Bait wise.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like it is mostly HIT!! Congrats on some good fish

4. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az
    forgot to say they were caught on bluegills

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi, Welcome to BOC.
    I'd never been to fish in Roosevelt, so, Thursday we tried it.. :sad2:
    I don't have a boat so we tried a couple spots from the bank.., but, NO fish....

6. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az
    park at orange peel,go to left about 100 yards, you will see a dry sandy wash that comes into one of the main channels.this is one of my spots for bank fishing. usally do pretty good there.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    We'll try and look that up, much thanks,,,,

8. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Spent a night there in september,caught a basket of eatin size catfish!!Was a good night!!

9. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az

any nights a good nite if your fishing,even better if your catching.

10. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az
    sat nite slow on rosey fished till ten put a 20 lb flat in the boat,everything was a slow hit.useing bluegills and vanilla shrimp.i love my rosey if anyone needs info on it just email,i was born and raised on the lake been fishing it all my life, know just about ever rock and stump on the bottom. i luv america and my whiskerfish.to all my fellow boc, may you have stiff rods and screaming reels.

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Lonny,
    Glad you are part of the BOC, and congrats on all your success!
    Sounds like you are pulling in some giants from the salt.

* Do you keep all the flatheads you catch? Or do you release some..
    * Myself, I release most of the flatheads I catch, especially the big ones...

* Regardless of what you do with them, Get some pictures man!

* Take care Hillbilly~

12. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have a question about Roosie for ya. When are we fishing it together? Roosie has always been my favorite and where i have caught probably 90% of my bigger fish. I have never fished it this full. My best luck has been between 40 and 60% capacity. I am lost there now and have had a terrible year there. I am always up to learning, listening and helping. If you'd like to show me how to fish a full roosie i'd be up to it. I have a boat and willing to fish through anything. Let me know. Thanks

13. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az
    nope i put all of the big ones back,i do keep some of the small flats to eat.i never do fish the salt,my stompin grounds are on the tonto arm.i can leave home and have my boat in the water in 20 minutes

14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks for the report Lonny, It is great to have someone that knows the lake with the group. I have driven past the tonto basin side to go to the salt side to fish. I will definitely try the orange peel area now! Thanks

15. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az
    which end do you fish mostly,i always stay on tonto end,thats my stompin grounds,next time you come down 188,look towards indian point,you will see two channels that go up the river,one goe's northeast around indian point,the other heads toward 188,then curves back to northeast, these are the channels i fish.i'm up for a fishing trip anytime,be glad to show you what i know about tonto end.

16. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az
    fished off of the sandwash sat nite, from my boat but i cast back towards shore,caught plenty of channels on vanilla shrimp.put one 20 lb flat in the boat.i ran my depth finder from sandwash out into channel it ran from shore line to 25 ft in channel a nice gradual slope,just what a whiskerfish likes,lots of good struture there.another thing everyone goe's to parking area to fish.when you first pull off of 188,you'll cross cattleguard look for pullout right there there will be some big boulders there blocking the road park there and you'll see sandwash, it's just a short ways down it to water.

17. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I always fish the salt end. More the lake than the river. I have done good there up until this year. I haven't fished the tonto end since about 1999 or 2000. I was just learning to catch flatheads then and ended up doing better on the salt side so i have always stayed on the salt side since. I do know the lake well, but not structurally on the tonto side. I do know where indian point is though. In the years that roosie has high water i have not done well. This year is the highest i ever seen the water and been my worst year there ever for flats. I never thought of shooting back over to the tonto side. Thanks for the advice. Since you live there, do you remember Ray Harris? That guy was the man at catching big flats. Do you know Gordy and Evelyn Rudnick? They have lived there over 40 years. Thanks again for the advice and we'll have to go flatheadin sometime.

18. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Edit: I mean 1989 or 90

19. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Welcome to the BOC Lonny, thanks for sharing info on rosie. I take all this stuff in so if some day I fish there I'll have a slight edge. I cant run around the lake like most folks, I pick an area on the map and go there. The area I do fish I check out during the day so I know where to fish at night. Take care!!! :wink:

20. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Now it has happened again! I am getting too excited reading these messages and I am going to have get to the water. I believe I will be on the bank you {Lonny] detailed Thursday night for an overnighter. I remember pulling into orange peel after another member{MichaelP] i believe suggested it earlier. I ended up not staying there that trip. Wind was up.