Roosevelt Lake Wednesday

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GETHOOKED, Oct 25, 2006.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Well, I attempted to day fish for flats today at Roosie. I had some SWEET 1/2 lb, 1 lb carp, worms, and a hunger for hearing the Clicker Run:eek:oooh: . I fished all the way up the salt river by boat until it hit 3 feet, back tracked and found where two channels met at the begining of a island, so I ramped up the point and casted into the channel aroudn 12 feet deep, with 3-5 feet flats around the channel. I threw one live carp, and one HUGE ball of worms. 1 hour later, 3 channel cats. :confused2: No Flatties.:sad2: Left went down river, found a 20 foot hole in the mid river channel with 5-14 feet around, anchored up stream and casted into the hole one carp head, and one live carp. 1 hour later-NOTHING. :sad2: Left headed for the main lake, went to a spot that a saw a guy catch a 40lber on worms, anchored up threw worms, and carp head. 4 channel cats!!! :smile2: 1 1/2 hours later, pulled anchor bass fished for about 45 minutes. NOTHING-cracked a beer:embarassed: and headed for the ramp!!!!!

I am so disappointed, I was so looking forward to hittin em up today. But that is why they call it Huntin for flatties!!!! Sorry but obviously nothing positive to report except the channels are bitin. and NO WORK.:big_smile:

2. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Hey man, sorry to hear about your dissapointment. That first spot you described is one I think me and Ryan (martinman) have fished before. We both caught a small flathead each, and I caught a turtle. Like I said before, I don't know much about dayfishing at Roosevelt, or dayfishing at all in general, but I do know that flatheads are going NUTS over nightcrawlers at Roosevelt right now. I had two different locals tell me that too, and seeing that I've caught 2 fish, 43" and 50", both on a ball of worms in the past two weeks, I can confirm that rumor! Everyone grab a can of worms and head to Roosevelt!

3. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Try those same techniques at night to light up the flatties...

I caught flathead during the daytime. But this was early summer at Bartlett.. Too Bad you did not get any flatties..
    * Good job on the channel cats!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Keep your head up, your clicker on and your bait fresh. Better luck next time.

5. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Thanks for the report on how things went. I wish that you would have caught some big monster too.

I have always had better luck at night catching flatheads. Although I have heard that this time of the year they feed during the day as well.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the current like where you were fishing at. I was there earlier during the summer and the current was almost non-existant.

Just wondering,

Ryan

6. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    THe current sounds like it was about the same from when you say you were there. You couldnt tell it was moving, without something like debris on top of the water, and then it was just a nice slow gentle flow. Very subtle. Way Upriver is still very muddy, but mid river is quite nice colored, and of course the lake is gin clear. The water temp up river was 71-71.5 degrees, main lake was 70-73 degress. I did get a chance to watch two bald eagles play and fish for aobut two ours during my fishing trip. It was so nice, I thought they were there to bring me luck and to watch over my enourmous catch. But it seemed like I was there to watch them. Oh well, exciting never the less.:smile2: