Roosevelt lake,overnighter

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by azcataholic, Sep 18, 2008.

1. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I went to Roosevelt on Tuesday early afternoon to schoolhouse campground with my inflatable boat. My goal was to go across and fish a cove off the main channel, but the wind somewhat changed my mind. I stayed on the schoolhouse side and tried to work my way to the upper salt area. With only a trolling motor and 2 batteries, i changed that plan after realizing i may not find a spot i liked while still on my first battery. I returned towards schoolhouse area, checked out coves on both sides of schoolhouse and now, on my second battery went ashore in cove next to schoolhouse on right hand side. I caught a 7# or 8# flathead right after dark. Another one had ran into snags and got the best of me. I can say the channel cats are reproducing well in that area. Right before dark trying to catch a couple more blue gill, i caught 6 channel from about 4" to 10" long on pieces of nightcrawler. The weather was perfect and nothing beats being on a lake catfishing at night. Just a report, no big fishing tales. Good fishing to all!

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Mike,
    Glad you got a chance to get out there and wet a line..
    ~A

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great time on the water, congrats and good luck in the future

4. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    we went to grapevine last night (thursday) and needed some bluegill and caught alot of tiny catfish so i know what you were dealing with it was fun but wasn't the bluegill we needed!

5. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Mike I understand when you only have a trolling motor, it can be a big hassel on a big lake. I have three batteries for mine and it takes like forever getting to the place I like to fish. What we will do to have a chance for a monster fish is all worth it:smile2: Glad to see you had a good time, take care.

6. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Yes Anthony, actually i really enjoy my slow boat[personal flotation device] You can check areas more thoroughly, now i have a depth finder which is great. Since i want to learn and enjoy Roosevelt alot, this works. I was told there a a battery charger which can just about keep up with demand of trolling motor, but i just don't know. Maybe another battery. Its the challenge that makes it fun.:big_smile:

7. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for sharing your story Mike. Sounds like a good time out in that inflatable you got. You never know what your gonna get into as your story just proved. Thanks again for sharing.

"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments"

8. galactic

galactic New Member

State:
    arizona
    glad to see someone is catching some cats at rosey, ive been out there a few times with no luck just a slot bass. the water is high and i always get snagged in the trees everywhere, i think in a year or two rosey is gonna be a great spot even on a boat there is tress everyware but good for stucture for the fish but not for my hooks lol :cool2:

9. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Yes Eric, there are more than enough cover for the baitfish, it seems i have a 1 in 5 chance of bringing in a hit. I have thought of getting a snorkel and mask, just to see what i missed!:smile2: