Roosevelt Lake Friday night

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by GETHOOKED, May 20, 2007.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    well got out to the lake a little late. His river around 8pm. headed up stream and there were people everywhere. Met up with AZFLATS, (good talkin to ya Andy, I saw you had enough of the crowds and left to windy hill???? early evening) Well we stuck out the constant parade of boats heading up and then turning around once they realized all stretches of the bank were taken. About 11pm Had a good run, 5-6 sconds into the run the damn flattie jumped clean out of the water and threw the hook. It was like watching bass center. Never got to feel her, but she look like a real decent fish. The splash she made was enourmous. Nothin else until around 4am when another pole took a run. Gave it to her for around 10 sec. let the circle and the rod do the rest and off the drag went----zzzzz--zzzz -z-zzzz-zz-z--z zz--z-z--z z---z---z--z-z--z---z--z--zz--z--z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z--z-z-z--z ------------SNAP!!!!!!!!!!

Threw the rod down, cried a little. DRANK a beer or three. Rebaited and waited the sunrise out. Nothing else the remainer of the morning. SO TWO ON TWO OFF. I think I need a shot of Tequillia!!!! or TWO!! Great night on the water though given the traffic and disappointments in fishing. Cant wait to hear evryone elses report. there shoud be a couple since half of phoenix made the trip!!!

2. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    thats too bad man. Im sure you'll get em next time. what were u using for bait?

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    we had caught about 8 nice sized bluegills. and all were nice. We had two on one was on the deep size of the flat which was around 8 feet, the other came in two feet of water on a mud flat where we had the boat anchored.

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    It is getting so busy on the river, we got to the diversion dam early enough Friday to catch enough sunfish for bait and get the prime spot, but a few hours later there were groups right and left of us crossing our lines. Only ended up with one fish, 28lb flathead. Overall, I was dissappointed in the quality of fishing because of the crowding. I think I am going to start making trips during the week or finding a different bank to fish from.

5. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    where is the picture? how was the smell? Have you ever tried down river a little. We pass several access points into the river on the way to good ol eucalyptus. Has anyone probed those yet, and did it seeem like there were poeple there too? Maybe alll the action and people who make the big boys hold up a little further down stream? IT maybe worth a shot.

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Friday and Saturday night were a bust for me.. Caught plenty of bait both days, but there were so many dang people.. My super sneaky spot were I landed that 60-70 lber last year has apparently been discovered by everyone else... People were literally coming out of the wood work to fish the one hole..

How does everyone else feel about this...
    ** If you are going to your favorite spot, but when you get there, their is already someone there.. Do you just pull on up next to them in front of where they are casting? Or do you find another spot? Friday evening, I was just getting ready for fishing in my spot when two dudes in a boat circle about 3 times over my hole before tossing their anchor 30 feet in front of my boat.. Granted, my cat lines were not out yet, Still fishing for carp.. But, common man.. Then they said that they were waiting for their buddies in two other pontoon boats to come over also.. That is when I surrendered my spot.. Because for me, it is mostly about the solitude and the quite as it is the fishing.

Saturday afternoon we went way up river as far as one could go. Then started walking up the river.. I found some deep holes of about 6 ft. I actually saw several flattys running up river in less that 1 ft of water!
    * Another fun trip, but as far as catfish, we only ended up getting several eater sized channel cats on raw shrimp..

Awesome storms on both days about the same time, 4-5 pm..

Get Hooked,
    Sorry I did not stick around to meet up with you Saturday morning.. I tried to make my way down the river, but every spot I marked, was taken.. I did end up trekking down to windy Friday night ended up sleeping most of the morning away..

I still cannot believe how many people are fishing for flathead.. I think I will save the Roosevelt trips for Fall.. Stick to Bartlet for now..

7. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Andy you actually SAW:dribble:flatties running up river? How frickin cool that must have been. How long did ya walk, and how far from the diversin damn do you think you were? It is incredible that all those people were there!!! Expecially on a friday night. NOT to bust your bubble, but where I talk to you was the SPOT that the big-un came out of? It is our secret ( well obviously NOT) if so. THe spot I was at actually had a mud flat that had 8 foot water to the left and 5 feet to the right. Looked good on the graph so we anchored up and fished it all night. Had TWO good runs, but none landed. Maybe next time. Looked like a good spot, and not to far from the good ol gravy --- right?!?!

8. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Here is the kitty I managed to land.

Andy, I know exactly what you are talking about. Me and my buddy left one whole day and several hours earlier to give ourselves a chance at the honey spot. Only to find, however, that a few hours later there were groups fishing just a few feet from us (not to mention the guys next to us who were more than eager to keep any and all flatties that they or we caught, including a 42 lber that they cut up). We don't have the option to move, so we put up with it, and we felt like we got cheated out of a good trip. Sure, we landed a nice fish, but putting up with the crossed lines and the drunks out there isn't my idea of peace on the water. We may just have to hack out our own fishing spot a little further down river, just to give us some level of solitude. If people are going to be harvesting any and all trophy fish caught on that little river, theres nothing I can do about it, but I would rather not see it.

Yes there are other access points to the river, there are just as crowded as Eucalyptus. I've fished them all, and Eucalyptus used to be the least crowded, I think that its just the time of year that everyone needs to get out there. Ead's, HZ wash, the mud cliffs; all that is packed this time of year.

Attached Files:

9. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Nice lookin fish Ant- you actually saw they cut up a bi fish like that? did you see them catch it--right next to you?! That sounds awful!!! DId they camp to the right or left of you? I almost always have someone to the left of us on the other side of the brush, but never anyone to the right. What did you catch her on and what time of the night/morning?

10. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    She took a 5" sunfish around 2 in the morning, and yes they were catching big flatheads just to the right of us. They were throwing an unweighted sunfish into the boulder rap just upstream of the mud bank at Eucalyptus. We were at the best beach, and those two guys came and asked if they could fish it with us, plus there were about 5 or 6 other groups close to us within about 100ft, literally, it was wall to wall people down there.

11. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Have you ever tried that, throwing on unweighted sunfish up on to those rocks to the left of the Good beach? How many did they catch? What was the biggest, and did they keeep all of them?????

12. stinky fingers

stinky fingers New Member

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Hey GetHooked! Better luck next time sounds like it might have been a goodun. When that happens to me I just hope there are no kids within a mile otherwise they might hear some baaaad words. Take care.

13. stinky fingers

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Hey AZflats! Maybe you should have pitched a carp in their boat and said. Oh i'm sorry I didn't SEE you there. Some people are just RUDE.

14. stinky fingers

State:
    Buckeye,Arizona
    Nice fish Silenced Majority. To bad those other people had to ruin your night. It won't be long before it will be fished out. Take care.

15. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Thanks there "sticky" you seem like a real genuine dude. Hope the catfish gods keep ya happy!!

16. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I hate to say that they crowding "ruined" my trip, but next time I think I will sacrifice a sure thing for a more secluded spot. Thats a big reason why I fish out there, to get away.

I haven't tried throwing an unweighted sunfish, from what I can see it is productive, but also a pain in the butt. Tossing it upstream, then five minutes later its on the downstream bank covered in river weed; I would rather set my clicker on relax a bit, it produces just as well.

Those guys landed 5 nice channels and 2 flatheads (17 and 42lbs) in a few hours, and said they would be there for two more days. Full stringer. One guy said he was allergic to catfish and was only catching them for his buddy.

By the way, the fish I managed to catch I caught with a 20" leader with a tiny float attached about halfway on it. I thought that maybe it would keep it above the weeds or at least keep the sunfish fighting. Fish took the sunfish after about 5 min of it being in the water when I added the float. Something else to try I guess.

17. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I wonder if you placed a cut/injured gill on a float just above the gravel/weeds and let it go down the river from the rip rap down if that might be a trick as well. How far from the good beach were they? Iknow it looks like the water churns a lot more just a few yards towards the damn, but were they that close. I know there is a small opening of weeds just down stream a little is that where they were?

18. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I would definantely say something to someone if they came right up on me where I was fishing. There's been plenty of times where I've gotten to the lake and someones in my spot. I would never pull right up on someone. I personally would say something to them and then I would probably cast over there line and snag them until they got the hint. On the other hand you have to be careful these days. There's a lot of idiots out there packin heat. Things are changing these days. My buddy took his new nitro out to Roosevelt about 3 Saturdays ago and when he went to leave his trailer was swiped in broad daylight. 2 years ago I was at Bartlett overnight w/ the nephews and someone stole the front bumper. the grill , my running lights and one of my headlights off my 4runner.

19. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Get Hooked,
    Very cool~ I don't think I was near the diversion dam, just maybe an 1/8th of a mile past where you can take a pontoon boat. I was walking up through the holes about 4-5 feet and watching big fishes darting up river away from me.. My lab actually reacted to one as well. I thought he was going to chase after it.. The dude I was with on this trip wanted to noodle for the cats in the large brush piles.. But not only did I not want to stick my hand in there, I also don't think the flats were on any eggs yet either..

* I really wish I would have fished in those spots.. I know there would not be any people.. It would be hard to give up the comforts of sitting in the toon, for sitting on the mud bank...

Hey Stinky/Micah,
    I'm glad you can sympathize with me here.. I was about ready to launch something their way..
    ~~

Oh well... It sure was nice to make the trip and get away for awhile..

* I can't wait to go back to Bartlet..

20. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I've been out to Bartlett the last couple of weekends. I've caught a bunch of ten pounders but nothing really nice. I met an old guy out there that's been fishing Bartlett for a long time. I've gone out with him and he has insisted on fishing the river every night we've been there. We fished once by yellow cliffs in an area that had all the makings of good flathead water but only caught one all night. We fished another night all the way up river in about 3 to 5 feet of water and caught about 5 flats that were 7 and 8 pounds. We also caught a few nice channels in the same area. We had a lot of Rods out with big gills and got no hogs. I'm convinced that until they start letting water in or it rains my best bet is in the main lake somewhere. I know there there somewhere it's just a matter of finding them. I'm sure one night I'll find them and hopefully it's soon.

Micah