Roosevelt Lake - Favorite Channel Cat bait?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Zonaman, May 1, 2007.

1. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I was up at Roosevlet recently, deploying my faviote all purpose bait: night crawlers. There was a good channel bite going most of the night, Since I was pakred in some pretty thick brush I was loosing a bunch of bait in the ensuing tug of war. When I ran out of crawlers I turned to an expired bluegill I had on hand. I must say, the channels responded most enthusiasitcally to cut bluegill. The largest ones were caught in this. I have a new favorite. What are your favorite discoveries?

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Gerry.
    You got it man.. My biggest channel cat was caught on a gill head..
    ~ A

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I never really go for large channels at Roosevelt. I catch dozens on little pieces of nightcrawler on an ultralite set up. Largest was about 8 lbs though, caught on a live waterdog.

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    90 percent of my channel cats come off of cut chubs or gills the orther 10 come off nite crawlers.

5. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Speaking of bluegills, I had live ones out all night. Hooked just behind the dorsal at the end of 24" steel leader & sliding egg sinker Not even a look. Is that a good rig for flatties? What kind of structure should I looking for up there?

Thanks.

6. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    My experience is similiar with about 80% of large channels hitting cut gils or carp. Followed by crawlers and chicken liver and hot dogs.

7. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I never fish for channels but I've caught lots of channels on live gills. I caught a 2 1/2 channel on big bluegill the last time i went to bartlett.