Roosevelt Lake Domination

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Patton, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Patton

Patton New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    Me and silencemajority and a couple of friends went up to roosevelt this weekend upper salt river. and had the best fishing trip imaginable. Two flattys 43 inches long and a 47 incher. And we lost another big one which was the first hookup of the night due to a experimental pole and a rookie catfisherman. Silence willl post the pics hes got them all on his camera. The 47 incher and 43 caught by Silenced on cut carp and the other 43 caught by a friend was off WORMS

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Wow, That is phenominal! Great job!!!
    You guys are tearing them up!!!

Can't wait for the photos!

3. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    sounds like u did pretty good the flatties are pretty much done here :angry: cant wait til spring tho.

4. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    We really had a great night fishing. Me and Alex (patton) took two non-fishermen out last night. One hooked up with his first fish, which happened to be a 43" flathead. I know I promised to order a scale, and I tried but couldn't get a hold of Coffey Marketing, so NO WEIGHTS were taken again. I did just get a big game lip grip w/ 6ft measuring tape, so measurements were accurate.

Couldn't of asked for a better night out there. Wind was really bumming us all out for the first 5 hours of the night, but as soon as the wind died, I hooked up with the 47" flatty (first pic). Caught him on a HUGE whole bloody head of carp on a kahle. Next, the rookie snapped off a decent flatty he hooked up with on worms. A little later I missed the hookset on a run of a 1lb chunk of bloody carp. Not ten minutes later, the rookie's pole doulble over, and he fought his 43" for a good fifteen minutes and brought it in (pic 2). Finally, right before sunup, I woke up to my reel being stippped of line, off of a mashed tail section of a big carp. I set the hook, and brought him in, 44" long, me still on my cot and in my sleeping bag the whole fight (Thanks Alex - Pic 3). Good night fishing, couldn't believe the action, its not what I'm used to.

We were at Eucalyptus on the Upper Salt again, thanks to Anakin for the hook up. All fish were CPR'd as fast as we could.

Attached Files:

5. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    GREAT post guys, I am new to this site but have fished Roosie for a couple of years. With the recent flood, I am finding it harder to find a GRAVY spot with all the submerged trees, are you just goinng as far up the salt as possible, or lookinf for a flat. Any advice would be appreciated. Or maybe a palnnned trip, or trade of secrets? I really am looking forward to getting on some of these giants more often. Thanks for any advice. keep up the good work.

6. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    I wanna go , PM me if you want company next time

7. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    You guys are really tearing into those flatties!!!

I am so jealous, it is not even funny. Keep up the good work.

Tony, did you get a scale yet? I would really be interested to see how much each of those monsters are weighing.

Ryan

8. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Tony,

Sorry...didn't notice you mentioning about the scale...lol

Ryan

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice pics..
    Guess you stopped messing around with those little ones.. Glad cut carp is working out for you.

Again, great job... My boat is still in pieces, so I will be out of commission until spring... But when I am done, you will not even recognise me..

Carp head on a khale... :big_smile: :big_smile:

Good going!

10. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I'm not gonna beat myself up (again) about not getting a scale. But I will not go out again without one! I'm not even gonna make any guesses on weight, because my arms were so tired from the fights I could barely hold them up for the pictures. Those fish nearly spooled us on every fight, up and down the river. Its so frustrating how we spend so much time catching baitfish for live rigging, yet every hit and fish we landed was on worms, or carp caught on location off of worms. I talked to a local and he said the same thing: no one is getting any luck off of live bluegill or waterdogs, and that the most successful bait for flatheads right now is nightcrawlers. Who would of thought the in the past two weeks we've caught two very decent flatheads, 50" and 43" on nightcrawlers.

:confused2: Don't quite know what is going on.

11. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Lets just say that there is no way I would have thought anything would hit such a disgustingly large bait without having heard your story. Thanks!

12. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Welcome to our community! I'm shorebound, so I haven't fished the main lake or the river closer to the lake recently. I'm sure there are guys here that can give you a much better answer.

The fish I caught this weekend had very fat bellies, probably full of carp and such, so I assume that our flatheads are still preoccupied with filling up for our "winter". So maybe the flatties are heading up river to feed on concentrations of carp up near the diversion dam? Its a weak theory, I know, but I've been told that the flatties head to deeper holes or the main lake as the water gets colder. Not like we in AZ have a real winter or anything, but maybe they like to simulate a winter with their behavior. Just a thought?

13. anakin

anakin Member

State:
    Florence, Az.
    Good stuff man ! Looks like ur a pro now ...

14. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    In the 3rd picture the water looks like it's standing still almost. Was the flow pretty slow or about the same as it's been for the last few weeks? Great job on the catches and thanks for sharing the pics!

15. SilencedMajority

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Its funny because the SRP waterflow website said that the flow would be about 350 cfs, but last time I went it was about 200cfs and the current and river was a bit higher. The section I fish is right behind a gentle bend about a quarter mile down from the diversion dam. There is some current just ahead of where I fish, and down deep there seems to a be bit of a channel where there is current, but I only need about 2 ounces to hold the bait in place. There isn't alot of current though...