Roosevelt Lake 5/21

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by badgmc, May 24, 2007.

1. badgmc

badgmc New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Went up to Roosevelt on Monday. Caught several 3-4 channel cats on cut bluegill. Only had the one gill so I did was not able to try a live one for the flatties. I am still searching for my first flattie, anyone have any suggestions for Roosevelt? I have been fishing up the salt where there is a river bend, so a flat with a deeper hole near by. The channels came from the flat, is this where the flatties will be also?

2. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Sounds like you are in the right spot, I would actually fish the flat at night and the hole during light. BUT YOU NEED LIVE BAIT. SO if that cutbait would have been swimming, the reel would have been screamin!!!!!!!!!

3. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    gethooked is right.... the only time a flathead will take cutbait readily is spring time right now, but your not going to run into monsters. stuff under 20 lbs

i agree also the flat is the place to fish at nite with live gills. thing is, with water as high as it is, you need to get a few guys in the boat with you so you can throw out 5-8 rods over the are to cover it well....

4. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I know live bait is the best but I've caught many a flat's on FRESH cutbait. And if I'm not mistaken the State Record catch and release Flathead was caught on cut bait in the fall by Mr. AZFLATS.... I could be wrong though. The first week of April I had a 6 foot berkley big game rod with a saltwater penn fishing with 150# braided in my rod holder with cutbait and forgot to set my clicker. I woke up to my drag burning and my rod tip buried in the water only to miss the beast..

Micah

5. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    that is another time they will take cutbait too, late fall

right now they are coming out of laziness and gearing for spawn so eat eat eat and in fall they want to put on fat so eat eat eat

so they are oportunistic as well

this time of year they will take a crapload of crawlers on a hook too, like 8-12 on a large hook. but its a lesser odds over cutbait or livebait

6. badgmc

badgmc New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Brothers,
    Thanks for all the replies. I won't be going back up to Rosy this week. I will be going to Pleasant on Monday however. Is there a place there you guys could recommend for flatties? I read a few threads that said that the flatties are in there.

7. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just heard of a 62lber caught at roosey on a big gob of night crawlers so its always good to have one rod rigged with them. We always do but so far have only caught channels but you never know. I believe any flat that happens to swim by it will more than likely chow down on such an easy meal. But you still need to be in the right location.

8. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    if i were to fish pleasent for flatts it would have to be as far up aqua fria as possibe, but i do think the "closure" is still in effect. So i guess it would have to be the back of humbug or castle creek. Humbug has a little stream that flows into it inthe very back to the left is the channel. Right where the channel shows it self there are a huge flat of trees. SO-if aqua fria is closed I would be in humbug, good luck, hopefully someone can get on them and give us another lake to settle in for the night for flats!!!

9. badgmc

badgmc New Member

State:
    Arizona
    gethooked,
    Thanks for the reply. I know where the place that you are talking about. I have fished for stipers in that cove and seen the flat. I'll give it a try and let everyone know how it went.