roosevelt lake 11/20 report - Catfish in the 5 to 10 pound range

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by azcataholic, Nov 23, 2008.

1. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello to all, On Thursday afternoon met up with Hillbilly[Lonny] and we headed to tonto end of Roosevelt lake. With Lonny having a pontoon boat and knowing this lake pretty well we wasted no time catching 12/15 bluegill and headed to our spot. To begin the evening Lonny caught a 15# flat. In the same area I had the biggest short run to date for me. Using 65# test on my baitrunner it started to sing, I let it go for a bit, but when i tried to set the hook it seemed like i was hooked onto a boat, my line broke at that point. This happened within about 30 seconds, naturally questioning bad knot, fray in line,etc. We moved a couple of times thru the evening after the wind came up but we caught 4 or 5 more cats in the 5 to 10# range.It definitely was a successful nite of fishing. Thanks Lonny we'll get together again soon.

2. bigfisher17

bigfisher17 New Member

State:
    arizona
    great report mike glad u had a good and safe trip home :tounge_out:

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Alright,,,
    Sounds like a great time,, always good to have lots of action....
    Always makes my hair stand up when the clickers start screaming!!!!:big_smile:
    You have any pics??:wink:

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on your fishing success and thanks for sharing your story with us

5. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Thanks for sharing Mike, it's good to see you guys (still) catching flatties. :wink:

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice job~ The weather was just perfect last weekend, I wish I went...

* How deep were the blue gills?
    Thanks~

7. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Yes, weather wise to start with was perfect, no wind. As the breeze came and went it was still comfortable. The breeze turned into wind in early morning with our anchors turning into a slow drift from time to time.The early morning chill certainly gets you anxious for the sun. The bluegill were nice size,5 or 6 inches long about 5 to 10 feet deep,letting piece of nightcrawler float down with no weight, caught most of them about an hour before dark.I little surprise was i caught about a pounder bass about a hour after sunset on a bluegill head!

8. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    5-10 lb catfish the title suggests. Thats a really catchy title.