Roosevelt Diversion dam 6/4

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by SilencedMajority, Jun 5, 2006.

1. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I banked fished the salt below the diversion dam at Roosevelt Sunday night. I got to a location near rapids and bend in the river, we were the only ones out there. This is only my second time out on my own for flatties, and the first time I've experience a flathead "run". This is gonna sound stupid but, I "extreme" mountain bike alot, I used to run my '68 chevy c-10 at the track, and even enjoy street louge every now and then; but I've NEVER had a shot of adrenaline like when I heard my bait clicker sing to me while my heavy boat rod doubled over. I AM HOOKED. I was fishing slip sinker rig with a 4-6" live sunfish on a kahle hook with it's tail clipped, freelining with a baitclicker. I got 3 runs in 3 hours, and it felt like I almost got him the third time. Overall a good night fishing. It would be better to return when the river swells a bit, it was somewhat low. Thanks for all your help and info, and answers to questions I didn't even have to ask.

2. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    How far down the river from the lake is the diversion dam? I know what you mean by a rush when your clicker goes running. I too was hyped up when I got my first run and still to this day get wound up just thinking about it. Glad you had a good time. I am going to Rosey this weekend and hope something good comes from it. I havent fished Rosey in about 15 years so it may present a challenge to me. I figure head down river and see if I can map out some holes.

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    Since last weekend was my only my second time at Roosevelt, I am no expert, but I would estimate the dam being about 5-6 miles of river from the lake. I am pretty sure that you cannot boat up near the dam, because even where i fished, about half way between dam and lake, the water is too shallow to boat in with lots of rapids. i love the location to bankfish from though!