Roosevelt advice for Channel cats

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Cat-dory, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Cat-dory

Cat-dory Guest

I have read alot of posts on here about where/when for Channels at Roosevelt lake. Here is my advice.....take it or leave it.
    This will work any day of the year at Roosevelt.
    Fish for Channel cats DEEP...ALL year long ! I NEVER put a cut bait out in any water less than 45-50 foot deep.....EVER !
    I NEVER come home with less than a few fish , with at least 1 being a 10 pounder or so. I have fished Roosevelt for 24 years and can tell you for sure that the Channel cats are there in good numbers. If it gets tough , cold , and just arent hitting.....Try fishing at 75' or even 100'+.
    You wont catch alot of fish , but what you do get will be worth the trip.
    Try it ! It works !

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Interesting...

Although I have caught cats shallow here.. I have hooked into some big cats near windy hill.. And that water there is deep...

What is the biggest channel cat you have pulled from Roosie?
    ~A

3. Cat-dory

Cat-dory Guest

Usually they are in the 4-9 lb range. Usually get at least one 10 lb+ per trip. There is some realy decent fish there. Lots of them too. I caught at least 30 fish last year that went over 10.

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Now I have always known about the big flats in Rosie, but those are some great channels. Any advice on how, where, and when. I am there almost every weekend, and would love to CPR some big channels. Any advice would be appreciated.:wink:

5. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Wow that would be awsome to catch channels that size on a given day. were you fishing close to the dam. I caught one last year close to 10lbs. on a live gill over by schoolhouse pt. I did not have my dept finder with me so who knows how deep I was fishing, I would guess around 15 feet.

6. Cat-dory

Cat-dory Guest

Usually the best areas that I concentrate on have water in the 100'+ range close by. The dam area northwards towards Tonto creek are the areas I frequent. The steep rocks by Windy hill produced a HUGE Flatty for me a few years ago. I never got him in the boat , but estimate it weighed at least 65lbs.
    The same place has given me quite a few Channel cats in the 15lb+ range.
    The water on the east side of windy hill is a favorite of mine. Its nice and deep , and has a step configuration thats close to the old river channel.If any of you guys wanna go , just let me know. Im planning on hitting it hard....very soon.

7. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    An invite, cool...send me a pm when u have a plan together!

8. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I'm in too, can we make a CATFISH1 fishing day soon. Flats should be runnin pretty soon, expecially with the salt to high and running. But I really would love to get into some channels big ones that is. What has been you bait of choice?

9. Cat-dory

Cat-dory Guest

I usually stick with cut bait. Blugill is right at the top of the list. Whole dead shad works real good too.
    As soon as this cold snap gets past on tuesday , Im heading up there to look everything over. Ive never seen the water level this high . Everything Im familiar with is pretty much under about 30-50 feet of water.
    In april 3rd , Im setting up a camp permanent somewhere at Roosevelt for at least 2 weeks , maybe up to 4 weeks. I will post on here where Im at if anyone wants to drop by ?

10. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Only problem for me on rosie is I only have a trolling motor on my 12 footer,so I am limited. Usually I only go to smaller lakes if fishing from my boat. At rosie I rent a pontoon once a year alot more comfortable and I wont get wet lol.

11. Emilio

Emilio New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I allways have had good luck fishing with raw shimp for channels at around the dam area. I cast as far as possible since all I do is shore fish. The biggest one I ever got was about 8 maybe 10 pounds. Everything else was in the 4 to 5 pound range. :big_smile: Hope to me some of yall out there in the next few weeks. The second weekend of April will be my first catfishing trip of the year. Hoping to land a 30+ pound flatie this year.

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hi Emilio,
    ~ WELCOME TO THE BOC BROTHER!
    Raw shrimp is one of my favorites for channels as well...

Good luck to you!

~A

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Interesting for sure thanks for sharing