Rookie Question

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by rookie cat, Jun 18, 2009.

1. rookie cat

rookie cat New Member

State:
    ok
    For those of you who fish below the locks or spillways, Do you guys do better with current/ flow or not? I am talking about close to the actual dam.

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    flow is good, but not to swift. whenever they allow water through, it stirs up the baitfish. some current is good but when it gets swift its hard to keep ur bait down and out of snags

3. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    More weight Matt !!!!!! :wink: always do good with flow than not. Just pay attention to the sign that says dont go past here and you should be fine. :eek:oooh:

4. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I wish i could answer but...my DH raysplay is a major dam hopper! LOL rofl. I do know his saying is the more times ya get your pole in the water the more ya gonna catch fish! LOL He likes it when its rushing a bit and he fishs toward the dam with a huge pole and major weights. I will no doubt tell him about your post and he is sure to tell ya what he can about it

5. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Gotta have flow. When I'm fishing the dams, if there is not at least 2 gates side by side smokin' pretty good, I fish somewhere else. The right gates have to be open with the right amount of water coming though them to create a seam in the current (slower water). I anchor as close as I can safely (and legally) get, toss out and let your bait bounce off the bottom until you find or feel the seam. If you get hung, let it set. Most times you will get bit off. If theres no flow, you're in for a pretty boring day at the dam. :0a5:

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    most times if theres no flow i use some bread and make dough balls.fish for carp seems they bite better when the river is still.

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    GOTTA HAVE FLOW.THERE ARE SOME PLACES THAT IF ITS FLOWING THEN YOUR CATCHING BUT IF ITS NOT THEN THE FISH ARE NOT BITTING.

8. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    I want no flow at all with the remote control boat you can always catch
    some fish Theres always a little current because of gate leakage Use a
    big cork and hang on:smile2::smile2: