Rookie needs late season strategy

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by uglymike, Dec 28, 2007.

1. uglymike

uglymike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Retired last year, just took up deer hunting (duckaholic). Have taken 2 does this year (could care less about horns) during regular rifle season here in Nebraska out of a pop-up ground blind. Late season rifle (doe only) starts Jan.1-Jan.15. Nebraska is over run with deer, can take 2 does on 1 permit. LOTS of permits available in my area. Have permission on several different farms, all less than 1 mile from Platte river. Mixture of corn, alfalfa, winter wheat. There's about a foot of crusty snow on the ground....Will my ground blind be effective? Set up close to the food? Downwind of trail from bedding to food? Cover scents? Any advice would be great....Am shooting .243 that I'm decent with out to 250 yrds. MAX.

2. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    In late season food is the key to sucess. A pop up blind put up near a food source needs to be well camoflaged with the outline broken up and be in the area several days before you hunt. Good luck.

3. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    what he said.it sounds like you have the food sources located .ground blind can be a deadly tactic close to food source, very close like actually overlooking it ,good luck bro.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    good luck brother. in my county in il there have been no loteries for late (doe) only . ive gotton only one doe this year.:pudency:

im a meat man as well. i shoot the first thing i see, say what ya will, call me what ya want horn hunters i could careless to get that out of the way.

i love fresh venison and have ate it since i was a kid. the rack (if it has one is a bonus) slickheads taste just as good. hope ya get one in the late season. ive got just a couple weeks to get one with a bow and im done. ate 2 firearm and a muzzeloader tag in 07. killed one in each last season.:sad2:

5. uglymike

uglymike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It's not a lottery thing here in Nebraska with the doe permits; just go in and buy them over the counter or on-line....If you can't kill a couple does in Nebraska, it's 'cause you can't hit 'um. There's too many, farmers/ranchers have crop/fence damage in most areas of the state. The Game and Parks WANT you to thin 'um out!!!:wink:

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    We dont have a lottery here, you just have to buy the doe tag before they run out for your management unit. Hunt the food sources & funnels leading to them. Dress as warm as possible!! If your shivering your going to fidget around to try to stay warm and your going to be seen from a distance since theres less cover.

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    2 words: Food Source. Early and late season, the deer aren't thinking about sex anymore, it's all about food.

A little tip, Wal Mart has snazzy little heaters that work on the smaller propane bottles for $45 & they are awesome. They put out a ton of heat, and I wouldn't be caught dead in a blind during the late season without a heater.

8. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I was looking at one of those the other night, but didn't buy one because I didn't know how well they would work.

9. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you rite you cant eat the horns no matter how long you boil em

10. Don1

Don1 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Don't forget that you need to ventilate your blind if you are going to use a heater. Carbon monoxide builds up very quickly in an area that small.Good luck hunting!

11. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I can't agree more with those telling you to hunt near food sources. It's all about food now. I'd also recommend keeping an eye on the barometric pressure, specifically the rapidly falling pressure preceding a winter storm. I just read a study that showed an increase in feeding activity during these times. Just like people flock to the supermarkets to get a truckload of milk and bread before a winter storm, deer kinda do the same thing and load up on whatever food is available. Good luck.

Mike in SW VA

12. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    These new catalytic heaters are supposed to be tent safe so I assume they would be blind safe as well.