Rookie Mistakes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by pendog66, Jan 27, 2006.

1. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Now that i have my rookie year for cattin behind me i can only think about all of the mistakes i made in the past year. 1.Before i started on flatheads i went fishing at the stillwater fishing for channels with chicken livers. I set my cousins pole on a Y stick and walked away. My buddy Luke said "Nate i think your getting a bite, i looked at the line and it was just bobbing alittle bit. So i said nah and walked 10 feet to the tackle box. Next thing i know i hear a snap and a splash and watched the pole disappear into the murky water. The cat had hit so hard it broke the Y stick and left us in shock. 2. I was fishing with a 2 pound sucker for flathead at the river, i didnt look at my reel to make sure the line wasnt tangled, and it sure was i tried to cast the pole and the weight of the sucker snapped back and broke the rod tip off(dad was pissed) 3. Didnt take my time to tie a hook on well when i was fishing the pond. Got a huge run set the hook and fought the fish for alittle bit until the line came undone. There are many more that make me sick to think about, any one else have some bonehead mistakes they're rookie year???

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    I'm past my 40th year of being a rookie. Fishing our favorite hole lsat spring, I baited up with an 8-inch bullhead, laid back to cast about 60 yds, and the little cat ended up wrapping my very best Shimano Symmetre 4000 and IM7 graphite spinning rod. Heaved the whole thing out into 35 fow. I just stared in confounded amazement when this fishing rod came flying out of nowhere into our spot! Young Whiskers and I tried snagging for it about 30 minutes, but the river was up and current fast. Bye-Bye $135.00 rig. I think we only got one flattie thatwhoe trip, too.

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    wow old whickers that is tough, i think i might of cried if that happened to me, or i would of tried to throw my fishing buddy in the river

4. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Here ya go Nate,I dont know if its so much a rookie mistake as it is being not so smart.The day i got my Shimano I went to the river and cast out a creekchub.The clicker start and i pick up my pole,the fish keeps running and i set the hook(without turning off the baitrunner)you can imagine what happens.I get a huge birdsnest and miss the fish.:mad:

5. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Whiskers i believe i would have went into shock.tough break

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    hey Steve what are you talking about i saw you do that in the summer with the Typhoon rod, now that got ugly

7. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Thanks Nate,make me look worse than i did with the baitrunner:sad:

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't think I would call this a bonehead mistake, but I did realize after awhile that I was using hooks too small for flatties. Once I jumped up a couple sizes (& got some help from a BOC brother!) I stopped missing fish & actually started catching!

The other mistake I made (definitely bonehead) was trolling around at 1AM staring at my depth finder....and forgetting I had 5 feet of line out to keep my bait alive...and then watching my rod & reel slide out of the boat after my bait got snagged on the bottom.

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    now its not as bad then when we were at the river and i did the same thing with the new Penn baitrunner with the new line, it took me forever to fix it

10. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Well now we know,FLIP THE DAMN BAITRUNNER OFF before you set the hook!!!!!!

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yep we get it use comin sense, but im usually running on adrenaline when it starts screaming so i usually do something stupid

12. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    well your stupidity is rubbing off on me,or is mine rubbing off on you????

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i think maybe a mixture of both, im just surpised we havent killed each other yet

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    pendog:

At least you got your Penn reel back! Mine's still at the bottom of the river!:crying:

15. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    man that sucks, the funny thing about it was it was the first day i got it and i just about lost it

16. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    If we killed each other we wouldn't have as much fun fishing would we

17. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    Fish,do you need a hug.I know i would if it happened to me

18. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    hey Steve what about when we were fishing and we hadnt caught a thing all night and i got mad and dumped the live well in the river, and 10 seconds later you landed a 11 pound Flat and we spent the next hour looking for bait

19. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    valuable lesson learned there,make sure your really done fishing before you get rid of your bait

20. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Steve,

I could've used a hug that night lol! But I've gotten over it...and somehow I convinced the Mrs. that I needed two more rods & two more reels. I'm not sure how I snuck that one by her!!!