Roofing the House

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishrollo, Sep 26, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ain't like anyone cares, but im puttin a new roof on the house this weekend. It is well needed, and I'm hoping to beat the rain. No fishing, and the only catching is the shovel snagging the nails on the ole shingles! Did I mention, there is two layers to take off from the previous owner?:crazy: rollo

Gonna fixer right this time!

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use to roof in my younger years, and have to put one on my house soon, feel your pain :smile2:

3. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hope it goes smooth for ya. I enjoy roofing as long as it's not too hot out, tearing up the old shingles is never fun though. Good Luck with it

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't envy ya but its not that bad,The clean up off the ground it the pain,Them dang shingle nails are hard to see,I'm still finding them in my yard over a year after I re roofed mine. Try to rent one of those big magnets with wheels on it,They are great.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jason, I feel for you, especially having to take off 2 old ones.
    Several years ago in TX State Farm started paying to always remove the old roof. They said it made the new roof last much longer.

I've done a couple new roofs over the years but not anymore. I have a 8/12 roof pitch and my wife stop me from getting on it back a few years ago. I didn't like it but had to hire a roofer to nail on some new ridge caps that blew off during Ike.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Have fun Jason!:smile2:
    Tearin off sucks but with some help its not that bad. Start in the corner and have someone pull up on the shingles while you pry them up with a pitch fork. You can pull off 5-6 square or more at a time.
    Your house will thank you for takin all of that weight off of it.:wink:
    Be careful!

7. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    This would be one of those very rare times I am glad I live in a trailer.
    All I have to do is slap some aluminized coating on every couple years.

8. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Well of course we care! Dern Jason, that's hard work! I hope it goes well, and I know you will do a good job! Good luck with it!

9. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Yep, hard work, but once the removal is done its not so bad. Get some help for the removal and clean up, then buy em some beer and lunch. I'm plannin on re roofin in a year or two, I've had a bad problem for 15 years, but I think I finally got it partly solved and in a couple more I got to re do the whole thing. I tried to get a building permit a couple years ago, kind of like being told no all the time and still needing to solve the problem. I feel for ya, but you will be glad when its done.

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    that double layer tear off is a pain....you picked the right time of year to do it for sure.

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Rollo, make sure that dog is wearing a hard hat when you fall off that roof.

Hey insurance man am I covered?

And hey Rollo. Take off your shirt up there so you look like a real roofer. Also a couple of joints in your billfold will really make you a professional.

I'll bet the sheeting will be bad too. Two layers and sheeting Rollo. You won't be fishing till spring. LOL.

John.

12. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    We just had ours put on last week. they took off the old roof and put the new one onit was 33 sq. metal roof on the garage it took 4 days total. They did us a good job our roof they used toe boards. It is done thank God. Blessings Rolo hang in there. thanks Sam Davis

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dont sound like much fun rollo:smile2:

Thats a small reason why I will never own a house agin, I prefer to rent an apartment where even my grass is cut for me, leaves more time for fishing, if not for that thing called work!:smile2:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's 8:22pm and with a cold beer in my blistered hand, and soreness thats gonna take days to overcome were done! Two of my so called friends were no shows today, and we lost another after stripping the old. We got it finished with 4 people. I have to tell ya, I have an added respect for roofers! Im an asphalt worker, and thought I had the worst job possible at times, but I have been reaquainted with the true meaning of hard work! The only thing left to do is some silicone work around the chimney flashing, and a magnet to find nails laying around for the next few months to come.. I can't wait to do this again! RIGHT!:wink: rollo

pb... i did get alittle dizzy once and stumbled, but dunno if it was from being bent over working, or the beer gettin me? lmao!

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Congrats on the new roof.
    I hate roofing! Though I have done many the worst tear off was three layers of asphalt over one layer of cedar shakes on an 8/12 3 story in the city, that was built in the early 1900's. That was a messy job.

16. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    should have gone back w/a aluminum roof..it'll last till you are gone, no more worries...........lol glad you got it done & no casualties just no shows---friends think free beer is good till they have to do something hard for it.....they'll just pay for their own beer then lol

17. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Now you know how Mikey's body feels after hitting the wall every race...lol Sorry couldn't resist buddy..:wink: Glad you got it done, it's hard work and alot of sore tired muscles, but rewarding when you stand back with a cold one and look it over....:cool2:

18. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Well I'm glad you got it done and got down off that roof. What the HECK do you think you doing up on that roof drinkin. Have you lost your mind.

HMPHHHH cant leave ya'll alone for a minute.

19. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You picked the right time to do it. Imagine being up there in the dead heat of summer. You ca'nt see where your stepping because of the sweat pouring into your eyes. you come down and stand in the shade in 90* temps. and shiver. people look at you like your crazy. I guess you'd have to be to enjoy such work...