Roofing shingle rant

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flysure1, Apr 6, 2009.

1. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The wife and I bought a old farm house 15 years ago that had a new roof and siding on it, all else was gutted--down to the studs, the farmer who we bought it from had Tampko shingles put on it, they had trouble with them back then and they curled and came off, Tampko covered very little to replace them and I used GAF next time around--(30 year, 80 mph wind Marqius) they are 11 years old now and the ones on the garage are curling and also the south side of the house, I have roof vents and eave vents on the garage and same on house along with vents in east and west end of attic area on the house, I had several blow off last week in probably 50 mpw wind, I called GAF and asked about the 80 mph wind warranty and they said it is only in effect 5 years--tough luck, I asked about the curling and they sent out paperwork saying what I needed to return to them, proof of ownership (tax bill) for the year they were installed, roofers name, how many squares, at least 4 pictures of bad area, front and back pictures of structure they are on, estimate showing the number of squares needed to fix it, and the kicker was that they want 2 shingles off of the roof, I called GAF today and asked if they were going to cover any water damage from leaking under the missing shingles--they said they cover no water damage, I said how about they send out a rep and they said they don't do that either--??? I find it hard to believe they handle claims from pictures---I am pretty sure I will try owens corning this time around!
    p.s.---the siding company did a terrible job and the siding blew like the house was breathing in the wind till it started blowing off also---3 years ago I had the whole house resided also. whew---I need some cheese now to go with my wine.

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Ours were 30 year shingles also. Lasted 14 years.:sad2: Know the feeling.
    Pete

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I reckon I understand how ya feel. A good percentage of homeowners change residence every 3-5 years. Now, given the few who don't, and the fewer percentage who will complain, and who will remember who what when the shingles were put on, they might feel pretty safe giving a warranty that is unrealistic. Then they need to know the installer, and if he was trained, or licensed, so they can find a reason to weasel out. I was offered a job instaling flooring, but could not get it due to for the warranty to be good it had to be installed by a licensed contractor.

Another company I know of is aware of its problems, but most people will change residence in 20 years, so if only 5% of the customers cause trouble for the company they can make claims and warranties that are not realistic and in 20 years will have a whole new set of clients. Kinda crooked in my way of thinking. Kitchen cabinets, or carpets, are one thing, but leaky roofs, windows and doors are another.

Also the installer should warrant his work. Maybe he will be able to discuss the problem if he does a lot of business with the shingle company and they will replace them but not pay for labor. I'm surprised they don't send out someone to check it and find a way to get out of the warranty.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    We had the same problem with Tampco. Next roof will be metal.

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    im going with tin roof

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    One of the biggest secrets to making shingle last longer is attic ventilation.
    You got to get that hot air out of the attic with some good fans.
    I've been told you can add 10 years to the life a shingle with ventilation.

But yea, it's hard to beat a tin roof. Especially with 50 year warranties.
    One roof ought to do ya for life.
    Like what I did about a lawnmower. I decided to buy one mower in my life after cutting grass on the same one for more then 30 years which my dad gave me. That mower still cuts and it's over 40 years old.
    Went out and bought the same brand. Figured I'd just buy one instead of a handful.
    Can't bet cutting grass at 10MPH and 5.5 acre cutting rate per hour.:smile2:

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Mark our attic is vented as good or better then most. But the shingles did not last. Now it was not all of them. Just here and there would a bad one show up.
    I was like you on the mower. Bought a Ferris should be around after I'm worm dirt and like you cutting grass at 10 MPH sure beats the old ways.

Attached Files:

8. flysure1

flysure1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have large louvered vents in the east and west part of the attic and vents cut into the roof. I also have vents in the garage roof. On the garage the shingles are curling above the overhang even, there is no attic heat build up there. I have trouble tearing off 2 shingles to send them because they don't send out any reps. I am sure they will play games to try to wait me out--they will say I didn't supply something the first time, then it will be improper instalation, then not enough venting, then normal wear, hail, etc., etc.,---

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Same problem here. bout 6 years ago we had big storm.. Four tornadoes, lot of big hail. I would say 2/3's of the area had roof damage, including my house. I would have to go to shop to look up brand but they was cheap 30 year shingles. I can ride round the area seeing all the house's that had new roofs put on after storm. Most all , Including my house, the color has washed off. Black steaks. They look like 20 year old shingles. I tried months
    ago calling about it. Got no where. They wanted an over kill of inf.. Dang near wanted to know how many diaper changes I had as a baby. If I had finical it instead of paying cash. I would stop payment and let them take me to court. its that way on a lot of warranties these days. I more less stop buying stuff. Kind of getting back to the old days. I dont need
    nothing but necessities and very little bells an whistles. I'm tired of buying junk with false warranties etc. that isn't backed up. I'm also ready to give up cell phone again after a warranty problem that is not yet satisfied. if it wasn't for health problems and rural area I travel alone several time a month, I would.
    Next time, metal roof all the way for me and I'll probably put it on myself with help of couple friends.

BTW. My house is very well vented .

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Let me tell ya what I did.
    I picked up the phone and called the Yazoo distributor and asked them about a deluxe seat.
    2 Days later I was installing a 73 pound seat. Dial your weight in and rides like a Cadillac.

Bought me a Jungle Jack a few weeks ago. A must have for zero turns and highly portable.

I look for grass to cut now:smile2:
    I go to cut the grass and the ol lady says but you just cut it two ago.
    Yea, I know but I'm going to cut it in the other direction.:eek:oooh:

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Vented or power vented?
    Dang ventilator fans dont last like they used to. they quit right regular but the warranties are good and they are real good about sending you new motors and such without returning anything.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Pete, the old and the new.
    Same brand. The one on the left is a 60 inch cut. 11.5 horse Wisconsin air cooled engine. First zero turns made.
    Age??????? It's over 40 years old. Dad bought it second hand from the state mental hospital. Probally 35 years ago. Back then it sold for about 3500 new which was a king's ransom. The mackdaddy of mowers at the time.

The one on the right is a new Yazoo 61 inch cut MAX2 commercial mower. 27 horse engine. A heavy mower weighing in at 1200 pounds. Deck is 10 and 12 gauge steel. 12 gallons of fuel.
    New seat not installed in this picture but sits about 5 inches higher.

Attached Files:

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yea,its all in the ventilation. Where people go wrong is having ridge vents on top and the gable vents on the ends and thinking it's more ventilation. The only ventilation you should have is in the soffit on the hip sections ( the flat soffit ). The gable ends should all be solid soffit...no holes for ventilation.

Gable vents disrupt the ridge vent system by drawing air in from them ( up higher ), the pulled in air should come from the lower point....the hip. If you don't have a vented soffit system then gable vents are better than nothing but ridge vent are not designed for a gable vent at all, they are more used for looks ; )

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Our roof is 15 years old and still looks new. Last year when hurricane Ike came through we lost a row of ridge caps but that was the only damage to the roof. It also took off part of the fascia metal on one side. Had a another bad straight wind a few years ago that did some house damage but didn't hurt the shingles. Had a bad hail several years ago, neighbors had to replace their roof that was several years newer than ours. I called State Farm to check ours. They said those other roofs had cheap shingles and that ours had no damage.

I've been well satisfied with our roof. Have forgot the brand but they are architectural shingles. Cost a low more than the bargain shingles but look and last much better. I remember the builder use a row of the cheaper Tamco shingles for the first row for those are covered with the architectural shingles. We also have continuous ridge vents on all top ridges with soffit vents every foot. Our house has no gables. Fairly steep roof, 8/12 pitch.

In TX we had the cheaper shingles on our new house. Next year had a bad hail and I had to replace the roof. Back then I did it myself. (3/12 pitch) I nail the new bargain shingles over the old. We only got 15 years from those. Now State Farm pays to remove the old roof, even if it's one layer. They say, never cover old shingles to get the best roof life.

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    They are prolly Timberline shingles, if they are, they are about the best there is.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks, I believe that's the name. I see they have a lifetime shingle. I believe ours are 40 year. I felt that would be enough to out live me. :wink:

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rod,Strip it and go with STEEL,Ya cant beat it for wear and durability.:wink:

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Mark there the only way to go now days. Fast easy to use & cuts out so much weed eating its not funny. My ferris weights in at the same as yours the deck is 10 gauge heavy duty.
    Pete