Rome, Lock and Dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by puddle jumper, Nov 16, 2009.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    OK Guys,
    Made it over to Lock and Dam yesterday to snap a few pics of the camground, it was early and the office was not open so it ended up being a picture taking trip:embarassed:,,,Oh well we can get on the phone for the other stuff,,, But this is what the camp looks like..

The park looks good there are about 33 sited some even have a little shelter set up on them for the tent guys if they need to get out of the rain and cook under, there was one bath house, didnt go inside but it looked good and well kept up with,,,there where probably 15 sited on the river the rest where back up a hill away from the river,,,all sites looked pritty good, most will take a camper up to about 30ft, full hookups,,:wink:There is a old river boat on site you can go through..

There is a huge pavilion on site for the meal satuday night,and a really good boat ramp with a floating dock,, lots of parking at the ramp, probably enough for 200 boats,, one thing to keep in mind when looking at the boat ramp pics and river pics,, the river is up farther than I have ever seen it, there is a rock wall that runs where the old dam used to be that was compleatly under water..:eek:oooh: usually you cant take a boat up river from where the park is but the the rock where probably 15ft under,,, if you look at the pics of the ramp you can see the weed line where the water was up another 10 ft also..
    I think it will be a good place for a gathering if the dates are open for the park,,:cool2:
    Puddle

Attached Files:

2. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Boat ramp,,:tounge_out:

Attached Files:

3. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Lock and the Coosa River,,:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

4. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Pavilion and playground...:big_smile:

Attached Files:

5. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Front tent and camp sites,,,

Attached Files:

6. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    This is the bath house and there is a bait shop in the office and another on right outside of the gate,,,
    What do you guys think???
    Puddle...
    One other history fact,, Have you ever heard of Popeye the Sailor Man, he was not a sailor at all ,,,:confused2: He was a river boat captain that was born on this river,, this used to be a main trade rought for shipping between AL and GA and one of the riverboat captains was the creator of Popeye...:roll_eyes: The thing's you learn on night shift at work...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  7. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    thanks puddle looks good to me .i hope we have a good turn out ....this will be my first gathering ...and i cant wait ...thanks for all the leg work:big_smile:

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for all the great pictures John. I'm sure most will find them very helpful. It's a nice park for sure and a great place for a gathering.

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thanx john for taking the time to those great pics.looks like a great place to me.hope to see everyone there.wonder if popeye fished there?:big_smile:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good photos puddle! Thanks for the update. I fished up there in the spring but I used the ramp on the north side of the river, before brushy branch. Cant remember the name

11. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks John, pics are great, looking forward to the gathering.

12. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    there is one at river road which is between brushy and the lock and there is one above the lock in middle of town which is called the levy

13. JohnK

JohnK New Member

State:
    ga
    When is this going to occur? I would like to attend but this is the first I've heard of it.

14. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    them dates are may 21 22 & 23,2010.glad to have you at the gathering.PM sent with additional info.

15. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Come on over John,
    Everyone is welcome,,:wink:Where in GA are you???
    and
    Welcome to the Brotherhood Bro,,
    Puddle

16. cvbaitman

cvbaitman New Member

State:
    georgia
    looks right to me it looks good to me the water is up alot from last time i was up there whats the date for the gathering.....

17. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    may 21 22 23

18. JohnK

JohnK New Member

State:
    ga
    I'm sorry puddle jumper, I haven't been back to this site for a while. I live in Cartersville and didn't know we had this much interest around here for catfish. I will be checking regularly from now on and plan to go the the meeting at Rome Lock and dam too.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  19. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    you did'nt know there was that much interest in catfish?you mean there is other fish of interest?come on out we gonna have a great time,can't guarantee any fish but we'll have fun.:big_smile:

20. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    What does that one fellow say...

Oh yea, there are two kinds of fish, catfish and bait fish :smile2: