Rollo's Homemade Slip-Floats For Livebait Flathead Fishing!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Sep 9, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is another technique I use, and how I make it my own way for flathead catfish. This is very simple, I buy swimming pool noodles for a buck or two at the local Dollar General Store, or Wal-Mart. They usually come in 4-5ft. lengths. Thats enough to make 15-20 bobbers for cattin in my opinion. I cut them in 2-5 inch pieces. Take lids from 5 gal. buckets, sketch the diameter of the noodle on them. I then use a jig-saw to cut the caps for both ends. The noodles I buy already have a 5/8" hole running through the middle of the pool noodle, which makes it easy to thread the line through. Back to the caps. The top cap I drill a 5/64" hole. This is small enough to keep the stop knots and bead from passing by. The bottom cap gets the same size hole drilled in the center of the cap as the hole in the noodle, so the noodle hole matches up good. I then use Amazing Goop glue to secure the plastic caps to the foam float! I always glue each cap well, place them lined up on the float, so the holes are centered, a put a small weight on the top of the float till they dry. I have never had one come apart yet! I will post some more pictures and details to help explain my makings here to help... First pic. is one of the pool noodle. Second one is a picture of the lid of a 5 gal bucket with the glue I use. The third picture is one of the bottom of the noodle with the hole pre-made in the noodle.. Once again this makes easy threading for monofilament, braid, etc. then one would think...rollo

Attached Files:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ok, the next pictures are those of when they are glued together, dried completed..rollo

Attached Files:

3. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    GREAT TIP FOR ALL OF US POOR HILLJACKS.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For those of you that might be confused slip-float fishing. These are designed to allow you control the depth you are wanting to fish more effectively. It consists of a stopper knot,( first picture) that is set at the desired depth, a bead to help stop the knot from passing through the float, a float, and usually a weigh below to help sink the bait, and hook.. Not always a weight though. Many flathead guys allow the bait to swim freely with little or no weight. Some even will run a barrel swivel, and then a line ranging 10-20 inches under the float with a weight above the swivel.. I usually fish an egg sinker right down to the hook, with a bead to help protect the knot and from slamming down on the hook.. Below pictures explain better I hope. Second picture shows the knot, and bead, then float as explained. The last picture is the whole rig I use often for flathead fishing.. Make sure you tighten the stop knot down when you set it at the desired point, and cut the tag ends off close to the knot so it doesn't snag in the eyelets when you cast. That will quickly ruin the knot, making it loose, and allowing it to slide on the mainline. If you want, place two stop knots together when tieing this up, they will work together to help prevent this....rollo

Attached Files:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There are different techniques for every situation when it comes to flathead fishing. And sometimes it calls for bottom fishing, sometimes other methods like this. I use this rig when I lake fish always, and on the river at times to suspend livebaits over submerged logjams and areas where throwing a bottom rig would result in an immediate break. Flats do suspend often, and a float rig of this type can be deadly when fished accordingly. I have tried this in many different situations, and would be lying to say its always a sucess. But, have caught many large flatheads by fishing the float. Add this to your arsenal, drift them baits into prime areas, and see what you all think... goodluck...rollo

6. gportsbaseball

gportsbaseball New Member

State:
    ohio - Groveport
    those are pretty sweet!!!, get good distance on the casts?

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And yes, Mean Gene's glowsticks fit around these floats great! But you a bunch like I did!:wink: rollo

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Those look great Rollo! I remember you telling me about them. I may make up a few myself. I still have a couple pool noodles and just need a couple lids.
    Thanks for posting. This should be in the library for sure!!!:wink::cool2:

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    Really appreciate the effort you've put into this demonstration, and it'll be helpful for sure.
    I've had good success, more on channel cats during the day floating and drifting for them, but, it sure is fun to have them hit!!
    I like your economical and large float system.
    Do you use it at night also?
    Thanks, Greg

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I mainly fish at night for flats, and I float fairly large baits, these will hold up and livebait, thats another reason I like making them to my lickings. I try them at variable lengths , and have even been able to float two plus pound baits on them... rollo

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Nice going Jason .... Well done ... Garry-

12. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Rollo, exactly what situation do you use these in?

great idea by the way!

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Your not afraid that the egg sinker will impede you hook set ?

14. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks for sharing that Rollo.
    The pictures were great too.

15. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Thanks Rollo. Great Post and very informative...

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    He drills the bottom hole the same size as the hole that's in the noodle. If you use 1.5oz egg sinkers make sure the hole is smaller than that sinker. ( so it cant slide up into the float ). So when you thread it in the small hole up top it goes right in with no problem.

I made mine a week ago and they work great.

-Jim-

17. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Those floats really look good Jason.

Another way you can do it also is to just plug the hole of a noodle with a crappie slip float. Some of them fit in the hole perfectly.

18. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Thanks Rollo, I will have to make a few.

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good post Rollo! Some of us in the TNR make our own too. SLightly different though without the lids or caps. We just stick the glo-stick into the foam end about 3" and use a 5"crappie float to fill the big hole. They work great for floating large Bluegills around logs and onto shallow flats......sniffing out those Bigguns!!!:wink:

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use them to float baits either along the creek channel on the lake, or to float along the banks past the structure areas. On the river, I like to use them in heavy sunken structure spots, to suspend my livebaits over them.. I believe alot of these flatheads often hold on the above side of the structure, or in an area where they can look above to see the fish from an ambush point. If you can figure out how high the structure is coming off bottom then let these lively baits pass a few feet over that, thats how I have been productive catching them on the river. Obviously any eddy areas would be a good spot to let them drift around also. ... rollo