Rollo has a question for the pros!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Feb 24, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As most may know, I'm an avid flathead guy, always rigging J-style hooks for them! My question is to you circle hook, blue catmen is... If you tight lightline, what amount of drag do you consider the right amount for rods in a rod holder on a boat? I know there has to be a happy medium I hope, allowing them to load, and drag, allowing the hookup to the right way! Now, before you all jump and say it has to do with the rod length and the line, I have already considered that, and want only opitions for monofilament ranging 30-40 pound test. I want specifics for the angle of the rod presented, and the amount of drag that should be applied on an average for the take downs! I have a variety of rods I'm taking to the James next week. I want a basic system on how to determine on how much drag is too much, too quick. And what drag is proper allowing a better hook ratio. I'm fairly new to circles, but my experiences over the last two years have been, good and bad.. any help is appreciated..rollo

2. Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Rollo, I use spinning reels due to budget, 6 to 7 foot med. heavy rods . Set them at 45 degree angle. I loosen drag to the point it`s almost freespool and when fish bites I can get pole outa the holder without spookin the fish, then I put my finger on the spool and hook sets in the corner of the fishes mouth. Then I adjust drag to what the fish needs for me to fight. It`s worked for me so far without lossing a fish. Good luck on your trip! :0a26:

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Rollo, it is all personal preference, I have just started messing around with the drag settings for the "hook ups", trying to get away from the old fashioned open spool with the clicker on, and move into the locked down method, even though I have landed most of my fish this winter with the open spool and clicker method..As far as the lb amount of drag setting, I would be lying if I said I completley understood that, so when I am setting my drag for the hook up, I have it so I have to pull line through the end of the rod, and the rod starts to bend over before it peels the line. I hope that makes sense, which is pretty much what everyone does. :confused2:...Man I know that didnt make any sense...LOL....Before when I used the clickers and open spool, I would wait for the run, pick up the rod and stop the spool with my thumb, at that point the fish would load up on the rod, which is important with circles and Blues. So just think about that method and set your drag accordingly. To sum it all up, you want to allow enough line to be pulled from the reel, but also not to much so that fish can load up on the rod hard...Sorry if that didn't make any sense, I have been with my Dad at the hospital all week so I am just now getting my mind wrapped back around fishing:sad2:...good luck:wink:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That makes sense t-bull. That was my exact thoughts, I knew I needed drag, but wasn't sure about how much, and if there was a method to setting them accordingly. I have been having weird thoughts of how a reel could have too much drag, and the hook not getting the opportunity to work itself into place, and just being pulled out initially. thanks for the confusing post.. lol/j/k..hope everything is going ok with your dad also....rollo

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You'll be fine Rollo, I don't really expect you to hook anything over a pound or two, so your snoopy pole should do fine lol.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My only input will be as follows. If ya are happy with the hook style ya use and are successfull with it. Why in the world are ya goin to circles? I'm not bashin circles cause I use em myself in certain conditions and when dictated by regs here in Jersey. My success has come by free spoolin with the good old clicker on. When the fish runs I simply take the rod outa the holder keepin the rod pretty much parelel with the water. Then with one smooth motion I engauge the reel and sweep the rod up. Once I feel the hook is set I give it another good tug and the fite is on. As with any hook sharpness is critical. Even more so with circles. Now that thats outa the way. have a blast and knock em dead! LOL!

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Rollo

I just hooked the scales up to my rod and I'm at 4lbs. Our basic drift set up here is 20 or 30lb test mono with a 2' or 3' #50 leader, then a 3" float 4 inches from your circle hook. I also advise a slinky weight vs. a no roll above your swivel, we happen to use 1.5oz around here.

No more than 45 degree angle is fine. When the rod smacks down put your hand on the reel and start reeling WHILE you are wrestling the rod out of the holder. Its important to not horse him in, main reason is because drifting can produce some whisker hooks ; ) A slow even retrieve is best.

I'm sure some will disagree with my method but it's what we use here and it works good. I also advise to go as slow as you can. A 1oz down rod of some sort ( perch jerker, LOL )will help watch your drifting speed, just look at the angle of the line. I like around a 15 degree on my down rod. Drift socks are pretty important in boat control and speed also.

G'luck man....It's a very exciting way to fish, have fun with it ; )

-Jim-

Oh, also Rollo the circles hooks need to be snelled also, it helps the hook set a lot.

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah, what he said!!!:smile2:

9. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jason ... You have the expertise to handle them .... Handle them just the way you would any big Channel Cat or probably a flathead ... if you use the circle hooks they should take care of themselves ... a J hook ... set like you would any other big fish ... enough drag and thumb control to set the hook and adjust the drag accordingly. Use the freespool w/ clicker .. when you get ready to set the hook ... flip off free spool and sock it too them ... I always keep drag set loose enough that I don't snap the line when setting the look.

Good luck ... Bro ... you will do fine ........ Garry-:wink:

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have fished almost exclusively with circle hooks for the last two years, 90% of the time with the rods in holders. I don't know if that makes me a pro or not, but this is what I will do unless Captain Hugh tells me different.

When a Blue hits, there should be little mistaking it for it should bend her over right to the water if it's anything like channel fishing with lighter equipment. You want the drag tight enough that the line won't snap. That said, the fish will be hooked when (and if) you can get the rod out of the holder. Her's a tip to get your rod out of the holder. Instead of pulling UP on the front end of the rod, push down on the end of the butt which gives you more leverage.

Good luck down there..... oops I'll be there with you! What time are ya'll leaving? I am picking Skip up at 8:30 am at the Bob Evans in Zanesville.

I'm getting excited. My gill net should be shipping today.

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think we are leaving around 4:30 or 5 am. We are getting a head start, so we can race to the favorite bankfishing spot before you! LOL.. we have already bought two packs of hotdogs, and marshmellows to tip the stinger hook with !!!!:smile2: rollo

12. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    That thar is FUNNY! I don't care who you are!!!!

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Good luck Rollo, Hope ya catch a HAWG!!

14. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i have only gone fishing for blues once, we used the j hooks and clickers, just like you do when flat fishing and it worked fine, ive never had any luck with circles but i know some have, if it was me id stick with the j hooks, i like the feel of setting the hook myself lol, well have fun and catch a big one, if skip or loanwizard give ya too much crap just tie on a couple them 8 oz sinkers and cast across their boat a few times , outa quiet em down lol :wink: have a safe trip all of you

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you have convinced me to do what I do best, fish the way I fish! I try to be versatile, but I have always told others to find what works for you and go with it! I have fished bait clickers, and J-style hooks for along time. No sense in complicating it now! Maybe after I get back I will experiment more with the circles and learn more on the ends and outs! Thanks for all your options and input. If I get shut down atleast I did it my way!!! :smile2: rollo

16. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Rollo, thats exactly what I wanted to post when I first saw this thread. Going to the James is one of my dream trips to. Definately not the right time to start experimenting just set those clickers and jerk a half hitch in them HAWGS! You can experiment with those circle hooks when you get back.

17. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Cmon Jason, if I can fish with circles then anyone can. It is so simple. Put the dang rod in the holder then reel in the fish. Let the hook do the work. I will help you if you want.... on day 2!

18. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    OKay Rollo Im no expert or pro at this by any means..But I will let you know what I do..I NEVER use circle hooks, i dont like them...EXCEPT when I drift.I think circles are the only way to go when drifting..There is so much goin on when drifting, keeping up with the poles, watching the finder, contolling the boat, it is just easier to use cirlces when you drift, also the blues hit it so hard sometimes you really have to fight with the pole to get it out of the holder..With that being said, I leave my drag pretty dang loose, Im not sure about the lb its set at or whatever, i go off of what feels right to me...I keep the drag loose, and turn the clicker on, but keep my reel engaged..So if my back is turned, and one of my rods is getting hammered, I can here it, but the fish is still having to put steady pressure on it in order to rip drag out.And remember, I just have the clicker turned on, I dont have the free spool button pushed...The loose drag not only keeps your line from snapping, it keeps the rod holder from being ripped off the side of the boat, and your hole set up going in the river...Once I get to the pole, i pick it up, tighted the drag, and the fight is on....Nothing to scientific about it, just loosen it up to where you think a fish will be able to take it rather easy,but still have to put some pressure on it, they will hook themselves up 9 times out of 10 on that circle hook..But like I said, I only use circles while I drift..There is just nothing like setting the hook to me,I sincerly think that setting the hook is half of the fun.Swinging on that fish, and feeling him pull right back...I LOVE IT..Hope this helps a little bit, its what I do, and I have never had a problem with hooking up on the fish...Good luck on the James, you are going to have a blast.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rollo, This quote is from the guy who broke his cat rod catching a carp LOL.

20. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    1st, it was a big carp!

2nd, you could be riding to Virginia in the boat!

3rd, have you seen the weather forcast? Dress warm... highs in the low 30's Tues and Wed. Rainy on Monday. We may want to stay out all night in front of the uh... front. Wasn't going to pack the heater but I think I better pack it AND the shelter.