Rolling blue catfish!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Rookie12, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Has anyone ever seen huge blues rolling on top like they were dolphins? I was on Badin lake in NC last Thurs. and saw alot of big blues rolling on top everywhere, but all I could catch were channel cats. This is really frustrating to have a 50 lb. fish surface beside your boat not 10 ft. away and I can't even catch one of that species. Why do these fish do this? Has anyone seen blues do this. I know Tomahawk andCatfishrus have and probably anybody else that has been on Badin at sunrise on the right day. just wondering if anyone has an explanation of what these fish are doing and why. Thanks!

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have seen them do it here on Gaston Lake, I couldn't get a bite on the bottom but used a slip bobber rig and started catching some of them.

3. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Wow! I just logged on and I was getting ready to make a new thread asking the same question, huh. Well anyway, yeah I fish a dock (the one in my pic.) on the Ohio River and I always see blues rollin'. The days I see em' rollin' over the top like dolphins are the morning fishing trips, just as the sun is coming up (about 5 or 6:00 through 7 or 8:00). Huge ones anywhere from just in front of the docks and just a few feet within' casting distance. It is frustrating seein' them giants roll in front of you and not bein' able to catch em'. I really would like to know a good way to catch em' when they are doing that, because of the current I can't use slip-bobbers or anything like Zakk. I fish bottom and I rarely catch the big blues when they're rollin on top. Im lookin forward to seein the repplies too Chris.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    One time when I saw blues rolling on top on Lake Marion, I went to a slip bobober rig ans atarted catching fish pretty regular even though they weren't hitting on the bottom. Ended up catching them about 10 feet down in 20 feet of water.

That's what I would try. Rookie, With a good sized float and a good weight underneath, you should still be able to float a bait in the river current. It's kind of a pain to have to mess with that much tackle, but if they won't hit on the bottom, then I'd say it's worth a try. Try diffenent depths until something works.

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I was fishing four slip floats all morning. That's my favorite way to catch 'em in the summer. I had mine riggedf rom 6' down to around 20' and all I caught were channels. Maybe the blues just weren't feeding for some reason. It really gets your hopes of though seeing them roll. At least you know you're fishing in the rigth place. I talked to a guy the other day that said he was catching a few blues up to 30 lb. when they were rolling by throwing out a piece of cut shad on just a hook with no weight and letting it float around behind the boat. I'm going to give it a try next time a see them rolling like that. I'm glad toknow I'm not the only one frustrated with this.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    maybe you should check yer local laws on bowfishing i know here in ky you can take cats during daylight hours with a bow , if youve never done this sorry for what your missing , its a blast of fun and quite a challenge to i might add

7. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I saw blues rolling the other day but i think they were feeding on floating mussels because they were floating everywhere.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have seen this on the Ohio River too. I have floated slip bobbers on the Ohio and caught them. Your bobber drifts fast but they will hit it. good luck!

9. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I never seen that before. Thats pretty crazy.

10. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    i fished badin the last two saturday nights and got skunked both nights i havent even seen a catfish, i fished the dam to the train trussel using crappie and bluegill heads on the bottom not even a bite might try the early morning trip this saturday maybe i'll at least get to see one roll the top if im lucky.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I seen them do this before as well. Only a couple of times. But I will result to using the slip bobber more frequently in these situations for sure.

12. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Saw this yesterday out on the Potomac. Fish of all sizes. Looked like a couple of them had some size.