Roller tip conversion

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by goodyear, May 9, 2007.

1. goodyear

goodyear New Member

State:
    Lawton oklahoma
    Has anyone ever replaced there conventional eye tip on your fishing rod with a roller tip? What would be some of the benfits of doing this will it help with my cast at all?
    The reason why im asking is because last night on my way home from my fishing hole I had my rods in my rod holders standing up and the wind i guess sheared off both of my lines at the tip i guess from the friction. I use 40 # power pro braided. I guess I will have to hide my poles from the wind from now on:sad2:

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've replaced one of the tips on my tiger rods with a aftco roller tip. You won't gain any casting distance in fact you might lose a little but I didn't when I did mine. The benefits would be less friction on the tip of your rod. This is good when running braided lines and less chances of damaging the eye by putting grooves into the tip. Another benefit of less friction is you can use a lighter line. I use mine for snagging spoonbill but it's also my favorite big cat rod. I plan on changing more of my rods to rollers at some point.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4367&d=1138291939

3. goodyear

goodyear New Member

State:
    Lawton oklahoma
    How do you go about changing your tip out. Do you have to heat the tip first to get it off? and when you get it off how do you install the new one? Sorry for all the questions? Im learning:big_smile:

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Roller tips are usually used on boat rods not meant for casting but they may work OK but I don't want a roller tip on my casting rod.The way I have replaced tips is using a melting type glue meant for the purpose.You shave the glue off a hard stick,put it down in the tip,heat with a match or lighter until it is melted and stick it on your rod tip that has been cleaned with light sandpaper or steel wool.Be sure to get a good measurement on your rod before buying new tip or take the rod into where you buy tip and fit it.
    Jake

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I have a set of six Light Ugly Stiks all with the Aftco miniature roller tips. I first installed them when I was using braid but have since gone back to mono on those particular rods. They are currently rigged with Abu 6500's and 30lb P Line. They cast fine but obviously not as far as before. They are incredibly smooth when reeling in with or without a fish on.
    Original tips can easily be removed with a little heat from a lighter. The mini Aftco's are not metal so you can't use hot melt to install them. A little 5 minute epoxy works just fine. They have never let me down in eight years...W

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a rod with a roller tip. I've used it a lot in saltwater, fishing straight down from the boat, and I like it for that, but not for casting. I don't even use the rod here in Arkansas.
    The way I've always seen a new tip installed was to heat the end of the glue stick, then apply some melted glue to the tip, then put on the new tip.