Rolla area rivers - Local honey holes

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by smhmc6, Mar 9, 2007.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anybody ever fished any rivers around the Rolla area? I'm planning on trying out that jerome acces to the gasconade soon. I'm from Kansas, but I go to school in Rolla, just wondering if anyone knows any local honey holes around here.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The "rivers" around Rolla are actually mostly cool or cold water, clear-running streams. So I doubt you're going to find much catfishing action in them - possibly a channel cat here or there but that doesn't seem likely.

The Big Piney might have a channel cat or two if you find the right spot, but I wouldn't know where to look.

See if you can find a few townies there who might know more about the local fishing. If nothing else, get an ultralight and head to Meramec Springs or Bennet Springs and chase the trout.

"Only 6 more days till the best St. Pat's ever!"
    (1991 UMR Grad - Comp Sci)

3. tbones23

tbones23 New Member

State:
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Steve,

The Gasconade is my favorite smallmouth river. I put in at the Jerome access and run up or down river depending on how much water the river has in it. If you have access to a boat w/ a jet and like to fish for smallies you'll be in heaven. There is also some good wade fishing around the access. I've seen folks running limb lines on the river but have not seen any cats pulled out. If I were going to catfish I'd fish down river from the access. i think there is some Nat. forest ground that you can bank fish from. here is a good site for Mark Twain land that may provide river access for you. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/marktwain/

Good luck!!

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Went out on at the jerome access today. Just had a little canoe and floated down about a mile. Got skunked, although we did have one little guy chase a little rooster tail once. Not catching any fish sure did made the paddle back suck, haha.

5. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Might get a little trout action floating Little Piney south of town on 63.