Rogersville Steam Plant

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by FishinTN, Jun 17, 2008.

1. FishinTN

FishinTN New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ive been fishin up at the Rogersville steam plant right below the main dam in the warm water runoff from the bank using chicken livers, and im catchin turtles and channel cats that are almost as small as the fish in my aquarium.Ive been throwin in the slower current coming out of the side channel, and even in the faster current directly below the dam and im still havin no luck. Is there anybody out there that can help me hook into some of those monster cats out there?

2. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    welcome someone will help you iam moveing to killen

3. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm not familiar with where that is. Is that a TVA dam? If so, when they generate you want to try to throw in the slackwater between the currents. Fish usually pile up there. Also you want to ditch the chicken liver. Once cats get bigger they switch almost primarily to baitfish. Use whatever's good around that area. We got a lot of shad and skipjack around nashville and murfreesboro. Believe me about the chicken livers...I've fished since I was a little kid with livers and never caught anything bigger than about 15 pounds with livers.

4. FishinTN

FishinTN New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thanks. i have seen some boats out there throwing cast nets for shad,but i dont think is a tva dam, its just a release of hot water generated by the steam plant into the river. should i use shad or skip filets since im goin for mostly blues and channels or would you recommend that i use live shad suspended about a half a foot off the bottom.

5. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'd try a few things. I've thrown out whole sliced up skipjack before. Big fish like big baits. You can try to just cut them up, or some people just like using the guts. If you fish from the bank I might try to get a bigger pole like a surf caster that'll put a bait out there a long way. If you're in a boat I'd just see where the fish are hanging on my depth finder and let my bait fall there.

6. MBeggs

MBeggs New Member

State:
    tennessee
    No skipjack at john sevier which is in the very head of cherokee water deph in maiin channel is about 8 ft. Shad are the bait of choice in this area.(cut or live) Cats have been slow for me on other area lakes lately.