Rods without reel seats

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by robbor, May 4, 2007.

1. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I was looking at some penn saltwater rods that dont have reel seats today,just long skinny cork handles. All these take is just a reel clamp correct? I did not buy they rod because I wanted to check my reels, Id like to put a big iron quantum reel on but have never had one of these rods yet.

2. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    Generally speaking, rods with no reel seats and just the long cork tape handles are called "jig sticks", they are used for casting iron jigs good distances to reach distant kelp patties or boils. they are a west coast style rod. I myself have a calstar 90j rod that I used to fish with when I lived in southern california. As a matter of fact, I just had a reel seat custom built into it because I believe it makes a great bank rod. it is a 9 ft. one piece fibreglass rod designed to handle 30-60 lb test line and throw heavy saltwater iron jigs long distances. I put an abu 7000ic3 on this rod and am able to cast a 5oz weight and cut bait a long ways. the reel is spooled with power pro 65 on top of a mono backing. I personally prefer a reel seat over just clamping the reel down. I was told that the reason these rods have no reel seat is to reduce weight. I guess if you are going to be throwing iron jigs all day and reeling them in, and fighting fish for hours on end it won't tire you out as quick. However, when your fishing from a bank with cutbait and not a lure, you can usually relax a little while after casting your line, so the added weight of a reel seat doesn't hurt any. I think these jig sticks have potential to make for great cat rods, but I would get a reel seat put onto the rod if it were me.

Eric

3. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Thanks for the reply Eric. I was looking for a second rod for a catifshing trip along with a second rod for shark and batray fishing. Our Big 5's had these penn rods on sale for $45 (normal $120)and the only rods I liked were the 8' med/hev acton as all the seated rods were were 7' or less and feels to short for my tastes. My though also was the smaller cork wrapped handle may make holding the rod and casting with a larger reel a little easier. I checked my quantum big iron reel for clamp holes and it does have them so Im going to look for a clamp. I was just worried about strength of the clamped on reel to the rod with rays and sharks in the 100# range as catfish would be no problem. As it turns out Id have to pay about $75+ extra to take one piece 8' rods on the plane so that idea went out the window and Im going to have my uncle provide me poles. Im not totally sold on the idea on no reel seat but it is a cost per quality and taste concern. thanks Rob

4. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    i know abu garcia's big game reels come with a bracket bolts and wing nuts to mount them

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think it is great! I bought a European style Predator and Match rods from Cabala's years ago.They both came with rings on long cork butts.You can position your reel to perfection for balance,to fit your bodies measurements and to suit your taste.What more can you ask for in a rod?It would be great if more people were familiar with the advantages they have.I think there would be more of a demand.You can even balance different types of reels for different fishing methods with your same rod.I have used Single pin,spinning and the Aussie Alvey reels with mine.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee