Rods with stainless steel guides cutting line.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Nov 10, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Am I the only one who has problems with these eyelets?..I had several of the old big cat rods that had the tip which was stainless and did not have a ceramic insert, I wore groves in the eye and it started cutting my line so I had them replaced with rod tips that had ceramic inserts..A couple monthes ago I purchassed an ugly stik tiger rod, it also has a tip without the ceramic insert, I just noticed it has groves in it..I only fish mono, no superlines, just wondered if anyone else has this problem.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tiger Rods are junk. Give it to me though & I will see what I can do with it. :)

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Flathunter,Im glad you brought this up,not glad you have the problem but this has been spoken to before.Cheap guides can be grooved by mono as readily as they can by braid.All lines pick up dirt ,grit etc and over time this acts just like a file or sandpaper.Its great to pay 20$ for a good cat rod but like a lot of "Bargains" there may be problems.Good guides are not cheap so you are not likely to find them on less expensive rods.You don't have to pay 100s of $ for a custom rod to get good quality.YOU can help the problem by cleaning your line with one of the line cleaners we have discussed here before.That alone will extend the life of the guides.When it happens you can replace the guides with good ceramic ones or simply get another rod.Most of the wear will be in the tip top so replacing it is easy and inexpensive and will solve most of the problem for you.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The cheaper guides will get grooved no matter what line you use.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I thought a ugly stik tiger rod which sells for 55 bucks would have had a tip guide that would not get groved, I guess I was wrong :sad:..I just dont know why any company would put out a rod that did not have a ceramic insert on the tip guide?

6. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have a tiger rod with stainless tip also. i have had it for several years and i have had no prob with it, however, i have a few berkley reflex rods that i have had to replace the tips on because of wear. and like what has already been said, it is due to cheap guides. the tip on my tiger rod seems to be pretty good quality though. maybe you just got a defective one.

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The best tip insert would be a hardloy insert but those tips cost abot $5.00 each and a SS tip will run about $0.75 so it is a cost issue. They are trying to keep the rods at a low price.

8. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    ;) this may cause gator to "have the big one"... i've had several tips get grooves worn in them........ i just mix up some jb weld, put it on top of the tip and let it ooze down over the guide , wiping off the excess as it trys to drip......the jb has lasted 3 seasons now without the slightest sign of a groove,,,,,,original eyes lasted two seasons.......

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good idea coach! I will try that!