Rods...What's Your Opinion?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ncfowler, Feb 14, 2006.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i been useing several rods over the years mostly long rods 61/2' to 7' rods I have some great stripper rods i've used very soft tip and alot of action in the body.I would like to go to a smaller rod something in the 6'> I was thinking of the ugly stick both in casting and spinning style.

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Nothing wrong with an ugly stick. I have a couple and don't hesitate to use them. Actually, I'm more concerned about the reel than the rod.

3. Kerrlakecatmaster

Kerrlakecatmaster New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A lot depends if you are fishing from the bank or from a boat. 6 1/2 and 7 footers are good from a boat as long you got the right action for what you are going for, medium to heavy is usually the rule. From the bank I would go for at least a 10 foot(more if possible) rod to reach out and get to the deep holes thorwing 3 ot 4 oz weights so medium to heavy action is necessary.
    Good Fishing B.K.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    It seems Kerrlakecatmaster has it down pat. I have to agree completely. And you can't go wrong with ugly stik.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes ugly stik's "Ugly Cat" rods are awesome! Great price, for a great rod.

Zakk:)

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Recently I've been using my new King Kat Pro baitcasting with Abu 6000 reel. Awesome combo...so far my best on it is a 15lb. channel but it works exactly as I would hope. It's an 8' heavy and I've got 17# line on it. Even bend throughout the rod, and talk about flinging baits! My secondary rods are my 7' Uglystick intercostal with Penn Prion spinning reel. I've also got my "brute" rod, which is a 7' Penn spinning rod, Jarvis Walker 6500 reel and 30# Yozuri Hybrid line. And when I'm just having fun, I fish with my light gear, which is actually my favorite way to go. But for my one "go to" cat rod, it's that King Kat rod now.

7. Kerrlakecatmaster

Kerrlakecatmaster New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Go get'em guy's