Rods that can stand up to braid ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Jb1z, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    What are some good rods that braid won't damage ?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Braid dont damage rods brother.. its just fishing line..

3. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Just had a discussion this morning with a customer on this subject we both agree the old braids made with Kevlar were hard on guides. But the new material {Spectra fiber} wont damage guide rings, in fact PP states this right on the box.:wink:

4. cat'n around

cat'n around Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    get a rod with ceramic guides and you wont have to worry about damage.

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have never had any damage to my guides with braid. I suppose if I was a fishing guide that would tell the story.

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    from what I heard is the stainless steel guides are the best way to go with briad but I have a couple of rods with ceramic inserts in the guids and it works fine. I fish with power pro too so that is also part of it. I'm pretty sure with the new generation of braids that are out there now hopefully they have tackled this issue I know pp says they did. guess the only way to be 100% sure is trial and error. lemme know what you find out as well I'm always wanting to try some new things out

7. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Spiderwire Stealth also states on the box that it won't damage rod guides and resists digging into the reel:wink:

8. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just make sure you don't put too strong a line on the pole you are buying. You can snap a pole by using too strong a line and a tight drag. Then you add a big fish to it and it will break.

9. buddyodie

buddyodie New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ugly Stik Tigers, heavy duty stainless guides, My favorite rods.

10. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    So anything with stainless steel eyes will work ?

11. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    yes that will braid is just fishing line

12. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    My snaggin rods have ceramic eyes, 80 lb PP and do not show any wear after 4 or 5 seasons of hard use and too many 50+ pound fish to even begin to count. My father's rod guides are stainless and are the same, as expected.

13. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think I'll get a Shakespeare Power rod , it's cheap and comes with stainless steel eyes.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    as far as wear goes i believe ceramic, harloy, or aluminum oxide wear better than ss with any line especally braid. stay away from the original spider wire in i think the red box it will chew through anything! i dont think anyone has had trouble with guide wear with power pro:wink:

15. ambassadeur

ambassadeur New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My Berkley Big Game Rod has a stainless steel tip and it has several grooves in it from using Power Pro, and I think I used Spider Wire on that rod too. I've heard that ceramic inserts are great with braid. The Fuji Silicon Nitride guides are designed for braided line "the toughest, most sensitive and wear-resistant guides ever, developed for braided line".

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All stainless guides are not equal...I know of braid damaging alot of stainless guides.

17. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I'm still confused on whether to get ceramic or stainless , ceramics will save me money but if they get cut I won't really be saving money because I'll have replace it.

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    see post #14 jack agrees. ceramics cost the most so i dont see how they will save you mony other than you wont have to replace them. for wear it should go; stanless steal-cheep$, aluminum oxide-little better little more $$, hardloy is premium a.o. - again little better little more $$$, creamic -$$$$ top dawg. less confused now :wink:

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    and i think it may have been the spider whire that done it :crazy::wink: that stuff is terrable it eats everything!

20. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Would this rod work ?

And how would ceramic be more expensive ? Ugly sticks that come with ceramic eyes cost less than ones with stainless ones.