Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi There,

I need a good rod and spinning reel (combo or separate) for very long distance casts. I often fish for catfish at dams that require very long casts to get to where the fish are. My 7" ugly stick just does not have the range I need, even with 3,4 or 5 oz sinkers.

I'd be willing to pay up to about $250 in total, and plan to use this for surf fishing as well. I've done some research, and have looked at a couple of other posts here, and am leaning towards the 10' PENN Spinfisher VI Spinning Reel. Is this a good choice? 95% of the reviews seem to be 5/5.

Would 10' be sufficient? Would also like any other suggestions as well. It seems like a long rod with fast action and heavy power would be best, along with lighter braided line (20 - 30lb test) and a mono leader.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
234 Posts
For a good long distance/budget spinning combo I’d go Okuma Longitude in 12’ heavy and top it with a Diawa Regal BR 5000.

I’ve had this combo for the last two years and it’s landing everything from blues in the 30’s to 4’-6’ sharks on the beach.

it’s loaded with 40lbs Kastking braid with a 25’-30’ top shot of 80lbs. She’ll get it out there for sure.

That combo will run you under $150.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Hi There,

I need a good rod and spinning reel (combo or separate) for very long distance casts. I often fish for catfish at dams that require very long casts to get to where the fish are. My 7" ugly stick just does not have the range I need, even with 3,4 or 5 oz sinkers.

I'd be willing to pay up to about $250 in total, and plan to use this for surf fishing as well. I've done some research, and have looked at a couple of other posts here, and am leaning towards the 10' PENN Spinfisher VI Spinning Reel. Is this a good choice? 95% of the reviews seem to be 5/5.

Would 10' be sufficient? Would also like any other suggestions as well. It seems like a long rod with fast action and heavy power would be best, along with lighter braided line (20 - 30lb test) and a mono leader.

Thanks,
Alex
You should check out Catfish Dave's YouTube Channel. He uses 12' heavy action rods and conventional reels with NO levelwind for distance casting. I think a 10' would work out fine, I use one for Carp fishing and can get close to 100 yards with spinning gear. Braid will help you cast because the line diameter is smaller. Look into some surf fishing gear.

Matt

·
Registered
87 Posts
RE: Good Rod & Spinning Reel
Some choices-
Okuma longitude 12' is a good choice but you probably want to throw at least 6oz on it. 8oz is better. It's rated 3 to 8 but is very stiff and may be hard to load with less than 6oz. Think you can always find this in the 70 to 80$ range, and occasionally cheaper. I have several of them in the casting (LC-C) model that I use with spinning reels and braid. If you prefer using mono you probably want the Spinning model (LC-S). I've only experience on the 12'ers, so can't speak on their shorter models.
If this sounds like more lead than you want to use, or to long of a rod, you can check out the Bass Pro Brawler surf, and/or BPS Offshore Angler Power Plus surf. Neither will break the bank, and Bass Pro makes some pretty good stuff that they will stand behind if you have an issue.

As far as spinning reels the Daiwa BG8000 is $101 on Walmart.com and the Fin Nor LT100 is $110 at Walmart,com and either is a good choice. I have some Penn Spinfisher V's and some BG8000. The Penn Spinfisher drag is better, but I prefer the Daiwa BG8000's overall. I'm not disparaging the BG8000 drag, which is pretty good, but the Spinfisher drag is a little better. While I own BG8000's and Spinfisher V's, I do not own the Lethal (LT100), but Alan Hawk gives it rave reviews on his website.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Last year my buddy bought a spin Fisher 5 combo. I opted for an ugly stik big water with an okuma abf65 since we intended on fishing some areas you need casting distance I cast about 20 yards further than him both use 65 pound braid as main. pretty happy with my combo. The bait feeder is quite nice too.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Ya wanna save some$$ go with a bp offshore 10 or 12ft rods pairs with optic 60 reel or Diawa 500 spooled with 50 lb power pro. Used this gear for catfishing, snagging carp and spoonbill. Even caught some sharks with em one time. I fish for lake sturgeon as well we have hauled them up running 7 ft plus a few times.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I surf fish a lot and I like the Penn battalion rods better than most on the market. The standard 10’ or 11’ ugly stik isn’t that bad either and hard to beat for the price. If you like your ugly stik, I’d start there. You just cannot kill them. I had a longitude a long time ago and it shattered when I got hung up on some rocks. I had to pick pieces out of my arm. With spinning gear I use vintage 706 Penns, 704 penns, mitchell 302s and a bailess spinfisher penn. They are great. The spinfisher does better with braid, but the 706 is tough.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I surf fish a lot and I like the Penn battalion rods better than most on the market. The standard 10’ or 11’ ugly stik isn’t that bad either and hard to beat for the price. If you like your ugly stik, I’d start there. You just cannot kill them. I had a longitude a long time ago and it shattered when I got hung up on some rocks. I had to pick pieces out of my arm. With spinning gear I use vintage 706 Penns, 704 penns, mitchell 302s and a bailess spinfisher penn. They are great. The spinfisher does better with braid, but the 706 is tough.
I agree with you on the battalion's they throw so serious leads too

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
I have spent many years honing my use of rods and reels for achieving distance in the exact scenarios you are trying to fish.

Casting technique is the number 1 way to improve distance, work on it.

Secondly, don't be afraid to spend good money on the rod, I would argue that the quality of the rod is the most important factor in achieving long casts when it comes to equipment, especially if you are just using a spinning reel.

For your price point, the heaviest 12ft Penn Battalion is probably your best option.

Other options are the 12ft heavy and x-heavy Tica Dolphins and 12ft Ocean Masters, but they do cost more then the 12ft Battalion.

Get the 6500 sized Penn Spinfisher, load it with 300yds of Sufix 832, and use a 50lb to 80lb mono shock leader (shock leaders, when used for surf casting techniques, are meant to prevent break-offs on the cast due to the amount of force generated during the cast).

Shock leaders should be long enough to wrap around your spool 5 times plus 1 and a half times the length of the rod from your reel seat.

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
I currently use a conventional X-heavy 12ft Tica Dolphin with a Penn Fathom 12nlw.

But, I have used and still have 2 x-heavy Tica Dolphin spinners that I have used with Penn spinners. Though I have sort of moth balled the rods in favor of the conventional 12ft Tica.

I have tried selling the spinners in the past, but I will be honest, when wind conditions are bad or when night fishing, it is nice to have the 12ft spinners on standby.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
For 90% of my fishing, 50 to 60 yards gets it done. I use conventional reels and a spinning reel, 8 to 10 ft med hvy rods, 40 lb braid, 50 lb shock leaders, and 3 oz weight plus bait. I dont have to kill myself or my gear trying to cast those distances...just a nice steady lob gets the job done. Other than that I do keep one rod and reel on standby just in case I need to go beyond that 50 to 60 yard distance. I have a 15 ft Ugly Stick Big Water with a Daiwa BG 8000, spooled with 50 lb braid, a 60 lb shock leader, and 4 oz weight (or more depending on conditions) plus bait. That rig will cast end zone to end zone at a local football field. Lets face it, if I need to cast further than that, then I need to buy a boat!

I fish rivers, sloughs and backwaters with these rods and only on rare occasion is the 15 footer ever used....but, its nice to have! I see some fisherman casting further than I do using surf rods, spinners, and light line and weight, but, most of their rigs dont have the backbone, weight or bait size abilities, let alone the ability to weight down for river currents, or break free of the never ending obstacles encountered with that type of fishing.....and, tie into a monster and its likely its all for naught.

So, as I see it "overkill....is WAY underrated" and having a nice long heavy surf rod and matching reel, heavy line, etc, is a nice addition to the tool box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts