rods for spinning reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cliff n york, Nov 12, 2007.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i will get a shimano 6500 reel soon but i need some advice on what rod to get. i will be fishing for channel cats with 20lb line

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    are you fishing from boat or shore? r u lookin for a surf rod or just reg? how long r u comfortable with?

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thats a big reel there (6500) the 4500 should do ok for channel catting even the 3500. Bare minumum would be at least an 8ft rod with a medium to heavy action.... I don't own that particular reel but I have seen it and myself might get a 4500 in the near future..... Maybe some one will throw their two cents in....

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if u r in a boat maybe a 6 to 7' H rod would be great. I would stick with H action unless you r after smaller fish. if fishing from shore where u have room to cast, i would go with 10' or longer surf rod where u can really get it out there.
    As far as brands go, i like the spinning rods from berkley and the Uglystick tiger. I am not an expert and have only one big spinning rod. I have several smaller spinning rods from berkley (lighning rods or cherrywoods) and love them.

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Catfish Safari makes all the models of rods in spinning and casting. You can find them in the BOC sponsor section. If you give steve a call He will be more then happy to personaly help you select a great rod to suit Your needs!

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Go by the "Lure Weight" rating in my opinion.

:0a5:

7. Zebco 33

Zebco 33 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you are going to cast 20# test line, you are going to need some weight to cast it out there. So you are looking at a Heavy/Med action rod.

Personally, I think 20# is too big, but then I don't know the size of channels you are after. If you drop down to 14# test Cajun Red, you could use a Meduim action rod. I go after and land cats in the 5#-15# range and have no problem with 12#-14# test line for them.

Also, you are looking at $55-$60 for a standard rod for your rig. I would throw in an extra $20 and get the Catfish Safari Rod. I did, and think its worth twice the extra price paid.

Jerry