rods for penn 209 reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cliff n york, May 18, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i need advice on matching a rod for 209s, to horse big cats out of downed trees and stumps. it needs a lot of back bone.

2. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey Cliff; Do you fish heavy current or lakes?. I have a river rod thats STOUT!!!. Or for lakes like Santee the blue cat rod works great.

You might ask some of the BOC members what they think of those two rods.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    YOU MIGHT LOOK AT SHAKESPEAR TIGER ROD ARE AMERCIAN RODSMITH HAMMER STYLE I OWN BOTH WITH PENN 309'S AND THEY HAVE A LOT OF BACK BONE, NEVER TRIED A CATFISH SAFARI ROD BUT SEAMS A LOT OF BOC MEMBERS USE THEM

TIGER UGLY STICK ROD MOD.# BCW2202 7ft MH 1 PC 30 TO 60 # LINE 9 SS EYES W/TIP

AMERICAN RODSMITH MOD.#TIH84H HEAVY 7ft 1pc, 20 TO 50 LB LINE, 1 TO 6 oz LURE , AND 8 EYES W/TIP

HOPE THIS HELPS

4. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My fishin buddy has a Penn 209 rigged on a Catmaxx 7' 9" MH and it's a nice setup. He actually just caught a 32lb flathead using it, however we were not fishin heavy structure, therefore he didn't need to hawg him away from a log jam or anything. But, if you're catchin catfish 30-40lbs consistantly or maybe even bigger (you said you need a ton of back bone), then I would go with an Ugly Stik Tiger rod, like already said. I know they have a ton of back bone. Good Luck.

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have 6 Penn 209's on Quantum Big Cat rods and they feel real nice and have plenty of backbone! The 209's dont feel right on all rods so take your time and match them up with a rod that feels good and has the action you want.:big_smile:

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if u want the absolute best, go with Catfish Safari!!
    they are the best rods i have ever used. If that is just too much money for you, try the shakespear Bigwater rods. I have 2 off the 7' H rods that i like, they are not nearly as good as the Catfish Safari rods, but they are OK. I like them more than the Tiger or Tiger Lite's that i have tried.

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Catfish Safari Rods all the way!!! That's all I use. Greats quality, and american made rods, designed by real catfisherman. Not japanese or chinese rods like Shakespeare, Surge, ect.:wink:

8. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i have all catfish safari rods. both the river rod and the lake rod are very strong rods, i just got my pb blue cat out of the ohio river 67.73 # on a lake rod.

9. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    If you want an inexpensive alternative, the Cat Claw 8 ft heavy action rods work well with these reels and have the backbone to hoist out a big one. And they are only 20.00 or so... The other suggestions are good ones as well.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If you are going to be using it out of a boat and fishing down I have a suggestion.The heavy saltwater boat rods have been horsing huge fish out of saltwater reefs for years.They have been developed for this.If it is made to horse 300 lb.Grouper out of a reef,it will surly handle much more than the 209.The glass ones are cheap and you can afford a spare.

If you are going to cast,the Diawa Beefstick has been a great rod for my Penn 345 GTI.It should be great for your Penn 209.The $24.99 price for a tough rod was/is nice too.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.