Rods for King Sized Flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fourteenfootcat, Oct 10, 2005.

1. fourteenfootcat

fourteenfootcat New Member

State:
    Big Spirit Lake, Iowa
    Tell us what you use and what action you prefer. I prefer E-glass Fenwick Saltsticks. They hold up to 100 lb test line, have a fast tip, as to not break off the bait when launching it into the water. They are also lightweight and easy to carry if you are bank fishing.

0-54 for graphite rods. They always break on me and it's not me that's doing the breakin'. As you know, when those flatheads want to nearly jerk your rod out of your hand on a big run, it can put a tremendous force on the rod. They usually break near the base of the rod for me. Never again.

However, I know a ton of guys that would say the ugly stick "TIGER" rods are worth the money. I don't know. Never tried one.

Let us know your preference.

J.

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Hey 14'cat, I use the Quantum "BigCatt" medium heavy action poles. I have two of them, a 7 foot baitcaster and an 8 foot spinning. I have tangled with some decent sized cats in heavy current and they have upheld very nicely. Some day I hope to wrestle with a cat over 50lbs and then I'll find out really how they hold up.

My friend hooked a 48 pounder in the mississippi with my 7 footer and had no problems what so ever. He now owns three.

just my 2 cents worth!

3. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    Berkley AIR Eglass Special. 5'-6" Extra Heavy Action rated for 40-100lb. test. Saltwater casting rod designed by Buzz Ramsey. Abu

4. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I know of a guy in Washington who uses a 7' MH uglystik for big sturgeon. He tells me they hold up just fine for those behemoths.

5. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use a Quantum big cat and Quantum Trophy Big Water and the are for real.
    I want 2 more

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I use ugly stiks but I am going to have Gators customs very soon! :)

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i used a 7 ft quantem big cat until i had it in the back of a pickup and the cooler slid going around a turn and snapped the tip off........i replaced it with an eagle claw 9 footer.............i caught my biggest cat on my quantem, and it help up very nice......a 44lb flattie...........i am confident the rod can handle more.......ps. it was a one piece also, which made it stronger but kinda hard to take it sometimes..........i wonder if gator could fix it up for me??

8. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    i use the new shimano compre rods. they are great but kind of expensive. but i think there worth it.

9. Warhead Garcia

Warhead Garcia New Member

State:
    Shawnee Ohio 43782
    I have the same rod as Abu and I use a Penn 209 on it.

10. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I use a custom built 7 footer Seeker Eglass blank for Flatheads, Tarpon, and shark with reels ranging from a Penn Jigmaster 500 up to Penn 6/0 on these blanks they have a fast action and are built for saltwater fishing and comply with the IGFA guidelines.

11. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    An Ugly stick is my rod of choice.. Man, those things are indistructible..
    You can pick up a stout 7 footer for under $50...

^ Have not had the opportunity to test them on a 50lber, But I have hooked stumps that would have split most rods..

* Sorry, no pics of the stump.. It got away. :crying:

12. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey man down here we have stores that will fix the tips for $2.00.
    My friend breaks his all the time LOL and they just keep fixing them

13. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I use heavy duty ugly sticks in the 7'-7.5' and they havent failed me yet.

14. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I just picked up a new flathead rod. It's a Sealine rod. I never thought they made rods. It's pretty nice. It has med tip and good back bone. As for other rods you can't go wrong with St.Croix or Pete Manina's musky rods.

15. SuCoTraveler

SuCoTraveler New Member

State:
    Milan Kansas
    Good day gentlemen, my 1st post, lets see how it works: I've got 2 eagle claw 10' poles heavy action with large spinning reels, and a 6.5' Roddy gator tail with a penn ocean reel that i have 65lb Tuff line on, that rod is lke fishing with rebarr. Can't wait to hook into something with it.
    Any way been reading this site all spring & summer have tried alot of deiffernt techniques and have not had any luck with flats, but I think it is the waters I fish, it is a 3 mile long lake by 1 mile wide, Wellington lake in Sumner county Kansas. I have seen pictures of some 20-30 lb fish tah has come out of it but I just haven'rt been the one to do it.
    But I'm not giving up yet.

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    SucoTraveler, Welcome to the B.O.C. Hook up with Dale Finney,he is from Kansas and have caught some big fish. His user name is dafin. :D

17. Bigunz

Bigunz New Member

I use/have two 7ft. Ugly Stick Cat Rods......two Berkley "Big Game" rods, both one piece and VERY strong......and I recently acquired a m/h action Tiger Rod that is like fishin' with a tree trunk........I use the Shakespeare Tidewater reels with NO complaints, the smaller poles are spooled with 30# Red Cajun line and the Tiger Rod has Berkley Big Game 50# line, mainly for below Markland Dam.........I can say, the lines I listed, I have NEVER had snap on me!!!!!! Even the 30# line is SO strong that I have to cut it before I can even think of it breaking off near the hook!!!!! I hooked about a 3ft. length of railroad tie with the 30# Cajun line and brought it up to the boat and I bet that waterlogged hunk of wood weighed at least 45lbs.?!?!?!

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Quantum bigcats heavy action and m/h action ugly stik tiger rods.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a couple of 30-year-old Garcia rods that are great for large fish, but for monster fishing in the snags, I've got a couple of Ozark Snaggers that need to be loaded with at least 80# line, preferably 100#-120#.

20. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Are most of the Rods over 8ft 2 piece I dont think I have enough room to cart something longer than 7ft without breaking it down.