Rods for Drift Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dust777man, Aug 12, 2009.

1. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    What length and action of rods are best for drift fishing?

2. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Dusty
    I like a rod thats between 7-8ft with a really soft tip, something that has good backbone down the rod to handle big fish but soft on the end so its not a overkill on smaller fish,, Light as possable, and balanced so its comfortable to hold for a long time and not front heavy..good guides for using braid , the braid will transmit the feel of the bottom becouse there is no to little stretch,,,graphite or I have been having good luck with graphite blend,,,:confused2: Long handle for tucking the rod under your fore-arm as a exstention of your arm, also a "fliped" reel seat doesent hurt so you are not holding the threads all day...
    Hope this helps:wink:
    Puddle

also check this out...
    Pete's a top nitch drifter, but dont tell him I said that,,
    :eek:oooh:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120431

Also as a side note, This is info I never heard or read anywhere had to learn on my own, Very exspencive $$$,,When you are looking at rod specs, The raiting are very specific to the area where is was desighned, a east coast heavy rod is lighter than a north east rod, and are really light weight compaired to a west coast rod, a west coast heavy salt water rod is a monster...thats been the hardest thing for me as a rod builder when ordering blanks through the mail,, I had to got the the dealer in Florida and actually get them in my hand to find the right cat rod blanks that I was looking for...:big_smile:

3. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    John, thanks for the info! I'll check out what Pete has to say also.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

John I bet there talking about drifting with the rods in holders? Where I control drift fish. Different rods for that over what I need.
    pete

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    John, I do not understand,,Rod Blank manufactures from around the world make and sell their product to distributors here in the states, all being made from small diameter graphite to larger Eglass. Then we have USA Composites, Seeker, Calstar, pheniox, kencor, glomis, lami, etc... hear in the states as well. Same thing.

Builders from around the globe make their own choice of blank for the type of fishing it will be applied too; from the same distributors we do, I have a west coast SW Mega Mag Heavy that is only .735 at the butt and weighs only 5.32oz,and I could get the same blank in Florida.(mudhole)thats the one stop shopping place to compare blanks.. go to the top left corner of the web site and type in what length, action, line class and power of the rod your looking for and It will pull up all of the blanks they sell that fall into that category. I understand what your saying when you have to compare blanks. It takes a some paper work and some searching to get the right one.

After going through a few of these in the last week or so I would go with something like a 7 1/2'-8 1/2' graphite/graphite glass blended Blank, Mod Fast to Fast action, MdHvy-Hvy power, in around 20/40lb range.

This rod would have the nice tip to detect hits and the strong butt section you need for lifting power and a smooth midsection for the fight. IMHO

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009