Rods for Catfishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by HARVRAD2003, Mar 11, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have a 7' White Power Stick Rod made by Offshore Angler that I bought around 8 yrs. ago at BASS PRO, it is rated for 20-50 lb. Also have a 7' POWER PLUS Trophy Class Rod which I also bought at BASS PRO FOR 19.99 it is a Boat Rod rated at 50-80 lb. Does anyone know anything about these rods, I've used the power stick and it is pretty nice but I'm curious if these would be good for handling a PENN or AMBASSADEUR reel for the River, I love my TIGER sticks but haven't the money to buy any at the moment.

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont know a whole lot about them but it seems like they would do fine to me.I mostly use american premier or now there called american spirit rods and those are not real expensive and they can pullem in just as good as a high priced ones,so id say you would be fine.

3. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    They sound like either of them would work with a Penn 320GT@ or similar reel. The Abu 7000 would work also, I think. Good luck and catch some big ones. Take pictures!

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    All I can say is giveum a try and see what you think, I have never tried them but sounds like they will work fine.

5. Ulizth

Ulizth New Member

State:
    St. Clairsville, Ohio
    I have a power stick and it has served me well. Handled cats thru 40lb in river current. I definately prefer my ugly sticks (mostly big water) though. The "feel" of the ugly stick along with it's durability vs price gets my nod.

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, and you could also attach a small truck winch.:D

7. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I used the power plus rods years ago and for the price they are very good. The one's I use to buy when the kids were small were mostly for crappie fishing and lasted as long as the more pricey rods, but I never used there larger rods. The best I recall they are glass rods, and the price was right.

8. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I like the catmaxx rods from Basspro plus the Tiger Rods, I will never buy another Quatum Big Cat Rod again, They are junk, I heard they changed the blanks, I hooked into a nine pounder awhile back and when I pulled him in the boat the rod snapped in half....

9. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    i like the tiger rods but i also have two penn slammers that i like

10. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I think I've decided that since I've got them I'll use them, at least their free. They are pretty heavy duty rods, I also like TIGER rods but I bought these long before I new anything about catfishing, as if I know anything now--but anyhow figure if I use them and they break I'll have a good reason to replace them with a Ugly Stick.

11. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I have catmaxx rods, I havent had any problems with them, I cant say enough good things about them.

chris

12. wade

wade New Member

State:
    GA.
    I like the 7' big game berkley lightning rods

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Those uglystick tigers are good rods for certain, but if you want a great rod made to your fishing needs, check out those gator rods. Jim (Gator) Hudson is one of our great sponsors. All of his rods are hand crafted to you specs. I have one and love it.

14. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Wal mart has a white tiger spinning combo for 19.95 in most all stores and its hard to beat. I have some rods that was around 100 bucks and the 19.95 tiger rods are as good as the 100 buck rods. I use them on the guide service and they will hold big fish. someone looking to get started or just looking for a very good low price rod check them out.

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    im not trying to promote anyone but if your in the market for rods check out a site called digital dagger.com good prices on okuma,andie and lamiglas. if i had the dough all my catfish rods would be lamiglas.

16. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    UGLY STIKS:worship: