rods and reels

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by Cmartin4538, May 14, 2008.

1. Cmartin4538

Cmartin4538 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    which do do you prefer, baitcasting or spinnig, and what do you think is the best action rod to use.:roll_eyes:

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Cmartin you can you use what you feel most comfortable. This been the BOC you will see most on here use bait casters...This is the year I am making the transition from spinning to bait casting for my heavier game. I have personally taken a lot of decent fish on spinning tackle in the past. Both have advantages and disadvantages to an extent...The best all around action would be a medium or medium heavy rod. But you will get many answers to this question as everyone has his or her preference.

3. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    For cats, I have two 7' MH Ugly Sticks that I really like. This saturday I am running out to cabelas to pick up some new reels for them both. I am looking at the cabelas salt striker w/ baitrunner, or the okuma epixor w/ baitrunner (I think both are the same reel, just rebranded, but I am leaning towards that salt striker because its cheaper and also a salt water reel, that was I can use the rods for pier fishing also). I own one baitcaster that I use for bass fishing from a boat, other than that all spinning tackle here.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Angel hit it on the nose! It's all about personal preference. I like bait-casters for catting. I believe they offer more cranking power and are a more sturdy reel. I like using spincast for the fineese style of fishing. Walleye, White Bass and Wipers fall victim to my spincast equipment.

I prefer med-heavy rods for catfishing. With a fast action tip for detecting the light biters.:big_smile:

5. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    My methods are quite simple. If a rod is going to be in a holder, drifting or on bottom, it is going to be a conventional reel. If the situation calls for the rod to constantly be in my hand; bouncing bait back in a current, vertical tapping in root wads or manipulating float rigs, it's gonna be a Spinner. To me spinners are more comfortable and slightly less efficient.

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I use spinning reels only, I won`t change.

7. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Same here using okuma abf 6500 baitfeeders

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I've been a spinning gear guy my whole life but over the course of the winter picked myself up a few baitcasting outfits to try out and I like them so far! I look forward to using them from my boat! :big_smile:

9. Cmartin4538

Cmartin4538 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    me i have been using a spinning reel but i have caught a few catfish using a regular baitcaster with braided line on it, i think i might try to go with bait caster this year because i have been using it for bass for a while and i think its time step up

10. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    I prefer baitcasters, it is easier to level line the fish, "let him take line" with your thumb on the spool. It is also nice to have the bait clicker at night and you can really put a whuppin on a flathead with a big baitcaster. When I fish spinning reels I feel as if I am going to break where the reel meets the rod. Maybe I just never gave spinning reels a fair shake, they are nice for casting a lively bait, with a baitcaster you really need to whip the bait so there is the posibility that you can cast it off. Line also seems to age better on baitcasters it does'nt seem to get as coiled up. Line seems to last 2-3 times as long on my baitcasters than my spinning reels.