Rods and reel questions

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by bradley_G, Oct 16, 2008.

1. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I am looking to buy a rod next week and had some questions for you guys;

Length, 7' 8' 9', any major differences besides working leverage?

Glo Rod- ugly stick makes a 7' and 8' catfish rod that glows, any advantage or disadvantage to it?

Abu Garcia 5500 Reel - "Clicker" I am not familiar with the clicker concept, wanted to know if the clicker is an actual switch or lever or if its just the drag setting on the star like gear just inside the crank? Wanted to try and get that clear to make sure I'm doing things right.

Also, how much line should I have on spool, is 125yds enough?

Any advice on the subject would be great!

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    A clicker is used in free spool. When a fish gets on and starts spooling out line the "clicker" does exactly what its name is, clicks. Like a baseball card in the bike spokes. Its a switch on the side of the reel. Pretty much just alerts you that a fish is going to take all your line if you don't get up and do something:wink:. As for rods I prefer 10' or more, but thats from the bank. From a boat shorter would be best probably 7' . I used to fish with spinners but BassMassey has got me sold on the Abu 7000. When loading up line, put what it'll hold.

3. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    an reccomendations on a line to line knot for braided? I used the entire 125yd from my spool and its pretty low, but for bank fishing havent thought to add more. I am guessing that the ambas. 5500 does not have a clicker, however when line is spooled out from the reel it clicks, wheather casting or from drag. Ive got the dial on the left side (magnetic anti-backlash im presuming).

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Bradley, the 5500 should not click at all in free spool or on drag. Sounds like there may be a bearing problem.

5. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    I use abu reels, the 5500 doesn't have a clicker, I think they do make one in a line-counting model that does. Try rinsing the reel out with water, let it dry then blast it with a good reel protectant/lubricant....I use the penn stuff. If that doesn't work you may have to take the reel apart which is fun, or the bearings might be bad.

I use a 5000 and a 5600 for stripers on Lanier. They are matched with ugly stick medium heavy rods 6.5ft. I use a 17# mainline with a 15#flouro leader. I personally do not like braided line, but some people swear buy it.....

My set-up a little light for stripers but that is part of the fun to me! I have landed fish in the 20 pound range and plan to catch one pushing 30 in the future......when I do that I might upgrade to heavier equipment!

6. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Oh yeah, one advantage of braid is the small diameter, you could probably fit 250 yards or so on you reel.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I hear ya buddy its been years since I spooled with anything over 20 and have dropped back down to 17lb silver thread on all my non leadcore outfits for stripers. I had to come to the realization that not everything I hooks a monster and if I do hook that biggun may the best man win :big_smile: But for Bradley fishing from bank I use ultra smooth Abu pro max 6500's with about 200 yards of 17lb silver thread on 8ft steelhead rods we used in upstate new york during the fall runs and with a 3 ounce sinker I will take on all challengers when it comes to distance. Best advice is mix and match till ya find your rig of choice and the best part is when you do find it youll have plenty of other fishing gear to impress people with :smile2:

8. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    The number 1 problem with braid is it buring into itself under load making the next cast impossible due to the line having to pull itself free from itself. I have powerpro 80# on one reel of mine, but its a saltwater trolling reel that holds 600 yards and casting is not an isssue since a kayak is used to get the bait out. 30# mono is all you eally need in freshwater.

9. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    I use 7 ft medium ugly sticks. I have never had a ugly stick break. I like spinning reels and use 25Lb test. I tried braided once and didnt like it

10. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Bradley!
    I know everyone around here likes them Abu reels, but do not over look the PENN reels. You can get some awesome PENN 209's & 309's reels from E-bay dirt cheap about 20 bucks each if you just look around. I purchased a new PENN reel 25 years ago and still have it and use it today. They will last a lifetime if you clean them every now and then.