RODDY By PEN

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Flamekeeper, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
  2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Ken I have had one for about 8 months now and it has done everything I asked of it, been using it hard for striper trolling on the power plant lake here, but I have no complaints with it.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I believe i read some posts on here about them falling apart or something bad like that. Im not exactly shure what was breaking but their was enough bad comments to steer me away from them.

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I havent seen one of these before, but it looks like a good reel. I will try to find some specs on them for my own curiosity!:tounge_out:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I had one and I sold it after a few months to my Uncle. Right after that it went to crap. I can't say how many fish were lost because of mechanical failures on it. Each time something would come loose, drag slip, and it was just a mess. He had to take it apart several times and work on it. He ended up selling it too.
    He did catch several cats over 20#'s on it before it messed up though.
    IMO, it'd be good for smaller cats but won't hold up to a lot of larger ones. Then again, maybe it was just the one I had.
    If you get it Good Luck!

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent tryed it out but it looks like a nice looking reel

7. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Here is what I could quickly find online. Doesn't sound too promising from the quality standpoint...

"The Roddy reels were being manufactured by one of then co-owners of Penn, Master Rod Co. (Penn has since changed ownership). They carried the Penn name as part of the partnership but they were not under Penn's manufacturing jurisdiction as per the sales representative we deal with. Since they were not being manufactured by Penn directly...Penn will not have a supply of these parts."

Hope this is helpful. Looks like if you want Penn quality, you will need to buy a Penn...

8. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have bought two of these on ebay for around 20 each. Originally got them for my wife to use. Then I started playing with them. Now I haven't caught much over 15 lbs with them yet, but I've been very impressed with them. Cast like a dream. I use squidders, and can almost toss these babies just as far. I imagine they would not hold up to abuse as the "real" penns do, but then I try not to abuse my stuff. I'd recommend trying to find one on ebay cheap, wouldn't pay too much for one. Try one and see if you like it. My biggest concern is replacement parts, if and when necessary. I haven't found anywhere to order these. That to me is the biggest negative. But I'll continue to use these guys till they crap out.

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I haven't seen that reel before....but it looks like a good one. I have a Roddy Gator tail Rod topped with a Penn 309 ......armed for Bear!!!!!