rod wrapping

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by slimepig, Sep 13, 2006.

1. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    heres my first finished rod that i painted and rewrapped. it was an old yellow eagle claw with brown wrappings, n i painted it red and wrapped the eyes with gold and black thread. also used flexcoat rod finish on the wraps. couldnt get good pic so also posted a closeup of one of the wraps.

Attached Files:

• eye.jpg
      eye.jpg
      File size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
    • rod.jpg
      rod.jpg
      File size:
      11 KB
      Views:
  2. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    Looks good, what kind of paint did you use? Still have the first one I did in the mid '80s.--shu

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Well I'm no rod bui;der but that looks pretty professional to me! Did it take a long time? I was thinkin of building rods for a winter hobby but I bet it gets expensive fast! Probably just have Gator build me one though..hehe.

4. liverboy

liverboy New Member

State:
    Tonopah, Arizona
    Sweet rod there Daniel! It may be just a fishing pole but looks like it would be tough to paint a rod as well as u did! I would buy it if u were a custom rod maker!...its pretty sharp lookin!....John from Az.

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    thanks for the comments. it really didnt take that long. the hardest part i guess was sanding down the blank. im lucky in that i found a guy to instruct me on rod wrapping thats been doin it for a long time, and actually works for flexcoat so alot of the supplies i need i get free. as a favor, on this rod i experimented with auto touchup paint. it was expensive and took like 3 cans to finish. since then ive found that fusion spray paint is really good, costs less and dries real fast.
    so far im just redoing my old poles. but yes it will get more expensive when i start from scratch and buy new blanks, eyes, reel seat, grips, etc.
    right now im working on an old old old heddon rod that i have repainted and put new grips and reel seat on. itll be red with green and gold wraps.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I sent you a PM

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A job well done,and I love Red it's my favorite color.Yes excellent job!--pk powell:big_smile:

8. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    that looks realll good. it looks professional. good job!

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Daniel, I got one, just one fishing pole from my grandfather that is still in tact. I wish I was that talented to refinish it. I have used it, but the last blue I caught with it bent the eyes way out of whack. Would you consider some side job from a fellow BOC member? Or at least chatting me through it?

10. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    are you sure thats your first looks good:cool2:

11. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    umm like i posted, im still a beginner. id be glad to take a stab at doin it for ya, but since i am still learning, i think talkin you through it is the best way to go. first, ill need a picture of it and then let me know what exactly you want to do to it.