Rod with Abu 7000

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by dust_stl, Sep 27, 2006.

1. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looking for a new river cat fish setup. Ok so I plan on getting an abu 7000 reel what rod size do you guys fish with that size of reel MH or Heavy. I will be using around 40-70 pound line

thanks Dustin

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A medium heavy ugly stik tiger rod would be my first choice.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Flathunter gave You some Good advice there! That tiger ror will handle anything that swims in our waters! J.D.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Boat or bank? Hard to use a 16' pole in a boat. Need a smaller, 7 or 8' pole in a boat. Surf rods can sure sling the bait/sinker a long way. So, it is your choice. Heck, buy two and just change the reel out as needed. LOL

5. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I have two tiger m/h rods with 7000C3's on them and love the way they feel and they cast well .

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i use 7000 abu and shakespear 7' ugly sticks with 30# biggame and have caught both my personal bests this year 50# flathead 65# blue . you cant go wrong with my outfit , the proof is in the pudding

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I could'nt agree more. You have to set up for the type of fishing you do what works for one person might be like using a cane pole to another.

8. dust_stl

dust_stl New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info

ka_c4_boom Did you catch your big fish in a river or lake ?

I am going to be fishing from a boat on the Missouri and Miss rivers near Saint Louis, from what I gather you need to have a lil bigger equipment on a river vs a lake

9. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i would recamend a bass pro catmaxx rod 11 feet for bank and 7 1/2 for boat.

10. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    hu maybe a really heavy offshore rod like a bigwater i dont know im a standerd rod guy. just cant get used to the big handles and the 2 handed casting required.good luck