Rod Vs Reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SubnetZero, Mar 8, 2007.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Curious on which you would want to put more money on, your rod or your reel..
    By that, Would you rather have a better rod and a so so reel, or better reel and a so so rod?

IMHO, your much better off with a better rod. When landing a big fish, you are fighting it with the rod and reel in combination, but You should be fighting the fish with the rod more so than the reel.

Whats your thoughts?

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My reels tend to be more expensive than my rods.

This might be because I am hooked on Ugly Stiks. They are very good rods for the price.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Let me rephrase it...

Would you want a crappy reel and a high end rod, or a high end reel and a crappy rod?

Like, which to do feel is more important?

I realize Rod prices are lower than reel prices..

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I'm willing to spend more on the reel then the rod.... a $15 dollar rod can work just as well as a $200 rod... Plus i get most of my rods on clearance so i save on them... The reel is what wins or loses the battle... If you only had a rod, you'd have but oh so much line to use but with the reel you can use alot more line and be able to play the fish more effectively then with out it... I use the cheaper end of the spectrum for my reels because thats what i can afford but It makes more sense to get into the middle bracket like the Abu's and Penns and they are more the lower bracket of the saltwater reels but they have better drags then most of the lower end reels.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    IMHO:
    The reel.
    Absolutely, the reel.

The rod is a lever, some might feel better than others, but any rod will do the job. A mediocre reel is going to have a poor drag, which will likely result in a broken line. Plus, big fish will put enouigh strain on the gears of a cheap reel to destroy it. Good reels will last 20 years if taken care of.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Absolutely what he said...W

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bro., I would go with the better reel. If you have a big one on and your drag on your reel does not work properly, then your line will break and that is that. Rods can cost from $20 to $90 plus and a good reel can cost between $75 to $100 plus. Never heard of anyone loosing a big fish due to a rod problem, but that is not true as it relates to your reel. Just my opinion, which we all have. Mac

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    On this topic I have learned my lesson on buying cheapo reels! I had too many reels get stripped/gutted by large fish.I used to swear by names like Shakespere but ended swearing at them (don't swear :eek:oooh: ) I decided to buy a few of Shimano's "middle class" reels (Stradic,Symetre,sidestab) and spent a few extra frogskins on a few nice rods (St.Croix,G.Loomis) [Probably more than I should have, anyway] and havn't had a lick of trouble with any of them! I'm hoping that the extra few dollars I spent will pay off in years of great service. PLUS a few of the rods have a 25 year or lifetime yourfault/myfault warrantees and free yearly service!!
    So I think in the long run good or better stuff will probably outlast thier owners with a lil luck and care. But that probably applies to just about anything.

Better reel. :big_smile:

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Since I only fish from the bank in the Mississippi, I need both. A good reel on a bad rod does no good. A good rod with a bad reel will not produce the distance I need either. If I had to choose, I would have to say the reel has to be legit, especially when fishing from a boat.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Both need to be up to the task.If you feel any rod will do, go buy one from the $5.00 bargin barrel and try it. Now there some decent rods available for a reasonable price, the ugly stick catfish rod, silstar catfish master, eagleclaw cat claw rods come to mind. I'll put a 6000 or 7000 series abu on any of those rods and be happy. So I guess I'd say I'd put a more expensive reel on a less expensive rod but not a cheap crappy rod.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That being the case...

High end reel and crappy rod. My reason is this...

A high end reel will have a good drag. If you set the drag to the worst part of your equipment (in this case the rod) nothing will break.

12. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I have a tendancy to try things just to see how they work. For catfishing the way I do it the catfish ugly stick is my number one choice. At $33 for the rod and $79.95 minus $10 rebait for a Abu 6500C3. add 8.25% sales tax and for $111 I have the best rig I could ask for. It is fun to experiment but I keep coming back to this basic rig.

13. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree, the reel is more important, with a good drag you can catch most anything, if you have the time to fight it.

14. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My experiences have shown me that given the choice between the two I will take the better reel. Same reason as the others that have posted; the drag first with better line capacity the second reason.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Msg]]]]]

15. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If all I could afford is one or the other, I'd just save untill I could have both parts top notch. I use Abu Garcia reels and have had very little trouble or complaints about them. Production Rods on the other Hand, Well I'm just done with them!!!! NO one makes what I would consider a top notch production rod for catfishing. Its always a trade off with them. Ugly stick Tiger rods are pretty good But I hate the EVA handle, Quantum Big cat rods blank is cheap and thin, and the inserts pop out of the guides too easily. most other rods are too whimpy for what I'm fishing in and for. In short production catfish rods pretty much suck IMO!!! Thank goodness I stumbled across the John Jamison signature series blue cat rods, no more compromise!!! Tom and Troy Knox build these first class rods by hand in Kansas City at the Rod Shop. portuguese cork handle, top quality E-glass blank, fuji reel seat, double foot stainless steel guide with no insert, and a double flex coat finish. For those of us who don't like to compromise, these rods can't be beat!

16. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    wellll loks like we all agree, must be a bunch of caat hunters, onlest fish that pullsas hard as a monster cat is a monster stryper, i like them boath but not equaj cats are supreme. let me say it again. reeeeeeel :cool2:

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    im the same way curtis , but then im also hooked on abu 7000 reels

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Any Abu 6000 or 6500 combo is a good place to start.

19. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with the guys who are saying the reel should be more expensive, but not just any old rod will do. A cheap 6 or 7 $ rod from Wal-Mart is not going to bring in a big cat out of the river, atleast not in one peace it wont. But overall the reel is where it really counts. Ambassedeur 7000C3 right here, best reel ever. But, I put it on a 60$- 9ft. Med/Hvy.Catmaxx Rod from Bass Pro Shops. Awesome set-up, great rod.

20. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    If you had seen the amount of wrecked reels - warped or gears stripped - that I have, then you'd know why I say: REEL!! :)

That said, I have seen an awful lot of smashed rods too! LOL