Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a stretch of river with some good deep structure. (I fish from the bank) The general area is known for flatheads. Only problem is the current is ridiculously strong. My current rod can only hold up to 3oz sinkers. I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to a more expensive rod that can handle heavier weights in those type of conditions. ie am I better off searching for calmer water where 3oz or less will work? TIY

Premium Member
If it were me, I would want a rod that could give it a try. From your description, it sounds like you would want a heavy rod because of both the fast current and the structure. And if the current is that strong, you will need a minimum of 8 ounces and maybe more.

good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were me, I would want a rod that could give it a try. From your description, it sounds like you would want a heavy rod because of both the fast current and the structure. And if the current is that strong, you will need a minimum of 8 ounces and maybe more.

good luck
Thanks for the reply. Ya I had a whisker seeker and sold it. Think I'll end up picking up another one.

Premium Member
I have never owned a Whisker Seeker rod but they seem to have a good reputation. But at $100 they are not an inexpensive rod. An Okuma Longevity would be a cheaper option and the long length would be good for long bank casting. But then a long rod might not work well if the bank is overgrown.

just some thoughts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I
I have never owned a Whisker Seeker rod but they seem to have a good reputation. But at $100 they are not an inexpensive rod. An Okuma Longevity would be a cheaper option and the long length would be good for long bank casting. But then a long rod might not work well if the bank is overgrown.

just some thoughts.
I'll check it out thanks. I do run into a lot of overgrowth in warmer months. The whisker seeker that holds good weight is like 9.5 feet.

Registered
I bought two 8 foot boat rods off of ebay years ago for about $30 each. They are made with a roller top guide and used for down riggers. They are like a broom stick. Catching my PB 35# flathead there was very little arch in the rod.

Registered
You could look at Catfish Sumo. The EXT 150 I believe it is, has been tested to deadlift 150 lbs so to me it鈥檚 bout as close to a real Heavy rod as you can get. On top of a lifetime warranty which most companies don鈥檛 offer an free shipping to me it would be a serious rod to look at. On second thought Slimecat does offer one but theirs is free for the first year an you pay half after the year is up. But with Catfish Sumo it鈥檚 free lifetime. An I think it goes up to 10 oz an 60 lb rated line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts