Rod transportation help.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tomcat85, Nov 9, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    so i got a 7'6" trophecat rod its a 1 piece i was wondering how you guys who use bigger rods that are one pieces got them around. i have a blazer well its my moms but i take it fishin. and all my buddys have smaller cars so any tips would be great! lol.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It may fit diagonally...good if you don't have a passenger. Or, maybe the Blazer is long enough that it will fit in the middle. Some put the tip end out the back window, but I've never liked that as an opition.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
  4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
  5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    It could work. I would be careful though. First off, make sure you screw them on properly to keep water out of your vehicle and so your roof wont rust. Also, those don't latch it down, i would be worried about the rods bouncing out when you hit a bump. that would not be good to lose all your rods on the highway.

6. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    If you are able to, fold the back seat down, try that so that it runs from the trunk to the dash. I have a 1-piece 9 foot rod that fits in my 4-runner.

You could also have some rig to where the pole hangs on the ceiling of the car, so you don't risk screwing up the roof. You could try putting ropes across the handles over the doors and those clothes-line things.

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks guys for the tips. ive been working on my lincoln continental trying to get it running and inspected and what not and those cars might as well be a boat so i think im going to do the rope thing once i get it running. thanks again!

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You may consider making a tube out of the lightweight 3 or 4 inch pvc pipe. Glue a cap on one end and just press it on the other. Should protect your rod from the elements and moments of carelessness.

9. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks brother!

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If there is a roof rack on top of the blazer bungee cord your rod down to that. Are go old school and put the rod in the window of the back seat and in the floor board of the front.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Those rod holders from Cabela's are a short term solution. They rubber will go bad on you exposed to the sun like that. As someone else said, the rods aren't secure just pressed into the holder. Some may carry their rods exposed on top of a car, but that invites damage, grit, grime and theft if you stop to go inside to grab a burger or coke.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Get that Lincoln running and sell it or trade it for a truck. I never knew I needed one till I started catfishing. Hauling around tackle box full of lead, 4 or 5 rods, 3 five gallon buckets full of water and bait with aerators, and eventually pulling a boat. Just make sure your rods will fit in the bed first. In the bed of mine I have bunji cords stretched in the front and back to lay my rods on and a rubber mat under the reels in case of potholes and bumps. Also take off any sinkers when transporting this way cause the bumps will make them jump around and shatter a pole or at the least an eye or two.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    If your using the blazer you might want to check out Rod Savers. BPS or Cabelas should have them. You bolt them inside the blazer and hang down. You can put up to 6-7 rods and the velcro closed. Ive got it in my explorer and it works great.

14. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Buy a rod tube! I wouldn't dream of dragging one of my Megabass or St.Croix rods on the roof or jammed in the back of a blazer for pete's sake! They are pretty reasonable around $10-40 depending on the brand.
    Hope this helps

15. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    rod tube?

thanks for all the ideas again guys!

16. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi

Yes, a rod tube. Its usually made of PVC or machined Aluminun and is a long tube with padding inside, has a cap, and you put your rod inside it to transport it.

17. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    awesome i might just make one i wonder if i could make a reel case too? i guess its worth a shot and then i could just bungee it to the top of a car or something.

18. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    For a cheap solution, wrap a towell around it with a bungee cord so it don't scratch the top of your car. Then run a few bungee cords over the roof and through the twisted bungee around the towell (keeping it from going side to side and back and forth). Go through the door wells and attach the hooks together inside the car. Shut the doors on top of the cords and go fishing. Been there and done it.

19. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Go the PVC route, find out the widest measurement of your rod, it should be the eye closest to the reel and get some PVC that will fit, take some foam padding and glue it into one of the caps and then glue the cap on the end, put foam padding in the other cap and devise a way to put a strap on the cap and the pipe (I used hose clamps) and there you go you could strap that to the roof of just about anything!

Aaron

TA2D