Rod Tip Paint & Blacklights

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by the_nis, Jan 3, 2006.

1. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Hey guys...Normally when I'm fishing at night I light a latern so that I can see whats going on with my rods. But, reading that I could potentially be scaring fish away and the fact that I can't stand being barbarded with 1000's of bugs, I was considering alternatives to the latern. I was going to use a black light to see my line but from what I've read, Power pro doesn't react to a blacklight and thats pretty much the only line I use. Then, I was considering painting the tips of my rods so that they react to a blacklight. My question is, do any of you do this? What kind of paint? Thanks!

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Nis

Glow Sticks & Electrical tape to hold them on works great for me bank fishin. It would be the last time you DRAG along a lantern. A headlamp is a must when landing fish by yourself.

6 to 8 inch glow sticks can be had for under 14 cents ea.

<><Baitkiller><>

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't tried the glowsticks, but I wrap a piece of reflective tape around the end of my rods. Using an led headlamp, the tape is very easily seen; actually is easier still with the red led vs the white. I'm not sure why the red makes the tape easier to see, but it does, and the red doesn't mess up my night vision. I also use the green flourescent lights for all around lighting inside the boat, as needed. I bought some red led clearance lights from walmart, and I think they will give adequate light, but haven't installed them yet, except for one underneath the center console--it works really well, turns on when I turn on the courtesy lights.

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I use a high glow orange floresent paint.Works great.Love it.

5. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Some good ideas! How far away can the 6"-8" glowsticks be seen? I do a lot of bank fishing...

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually just carry a small l.e.d flashlite and set it up where it is shining up at my rod tips and away from the water..You can go all season without changing batteries with the l.e.d's

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Nis

The 6 inch glow sticks are thicker than the 8 inchers and can be seen a bit farther away............like 25+ YDS EASY!!!!!!!!!! The 8s I guess 15+ yds. Yes and they do last from dusk to dawn and then some.

Like I said IF you use them you will not go back. Plz keep in mind that would be for tight lining with the baitcaster locked or a spiining reel. I never let a Flathead run......the only places they could go are not good where I fish. Plus from whAT LITTLE I've seen it allows them to DROP THE BAIT (OPINION). Also tighting allows me to see what others miss seeing :eek: .

"Join in the pursuit"
    <><Baitkiller><>

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    nis i use 2in light sticks on my pontoon you can see them better at night than of the day they last all night cost about .06 by the hundred.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    They make some small glowsticks about 3 inch long , you can tape one version on and their is also one you clip onto the tip, although it can be hard to clip them on a cat pole. You can see them from a good distance. You can pick them up from walmart, 2 for under two dollars.

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Nis, I have been wondering if the white Power Pro sold at Cabelas would show up under black light..I know my faded Power Pro does..might be worth a try...I would be interested if any of the members use white Power Pro and a black light.

11. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have a 9" Blacklight the Big Cat Trilene looks like rope. Also the rods I use glowsticks Reflex and King Kat rods are white and they show up very good as well under a blacklight. My Blacklight was $20.00 dollars and it also has 9" white Flourescent bulb as well. Don't use a lantern anymore with this set up. Hope this helps.

12. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure...My buddy has the white powerpro so I'll ask him to check it out.

13. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I use 3" green glow sticks and tape them to the tips of the rod and I can see them about 50-75 yds away. Had to go to the truck once and couldn't believe I could still see them.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    there are glow spraypaints available or you can go pick up a cheapy airbrush kit and mix regular glow paint w/ thinner to make it better for the airbrushing and spray the rod all around it between the first guide and second, 3rd and 4th, 5th and 6th and so on down the rod so you can see when it moves

15. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Or just use white rods better to see at night:cool:

16. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Hey Jason, have found out from your friend if white Power Pro shows up under blacklight yet? I sure hope it does.;)

17. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I guess I just prefer little clamp on bells. I guess I'm one of those that always has the problem of the fish biting while "nature is calling". So I guess black lites would be a waste for me.

Ray

18. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've looked at the black lights, but was thinking I could take my focusable "mini-lantern", and put some yellow or red plastic over it to both diffuse the light so it would illuminate a wider area (I figure red since it doesn't mess up night vision.) The bugs aren't attracted to red, are they?

The black light sounds cool - with my solar green line glowing in the night i'd feel like a catfish jedi, but I'm think a little area lighting is enough to watch those rods.

I have nickel "jingle bells" too, but when Baitkiller talks about those light biting fish dropping baits I couldn't agree more. I've had this happen, so got away from using audible bite indicators. They work great for an aggressive pick-up, but when the rod really bounces I usually pick it up in the corner of my eye anyhow.

Shawn

19. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Do a google search on black light paint and there is a whole bunch of sites that sell it. Some under 10 bucks for a spray can of it. I read too that krylon makes a fluorescent spray paint that can be bought in stores. I have thought of the idea too of spraying the rods and then clear coating to keep it on. If ya do decide to try it let us know how it goes and get a pic if ya can.

20. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I tried a bright yellow party size baloon stretched over my light, and it makes a real nice amber glow...

shawn