Rod Tip Glow Sticks

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by SWeiss, Aug 15, 2009.

1. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I like to use small 1-1/2" x 4mm glow sticks on the tip of my rod to better see any possible strike at night. Since I only have one baitrunner/clicker reel it's nice to see a hit before the rod ends up in the river. I just tape them on with electrical tape right below the rod guide.

I used the ones from K-Mart, but they are too expensive. (2 for $4) So I did a Google search and found some MUCH cheaper.

These are the run of the mill "break and shake" glow sticks, and they are claimed to last 8-12 hours with a shelf life of several years.

The colors are assorted and you get 50 packs of 2 for about $29 shipped. That works out to be around .29/per.

I plan on making an order and if you like, I can let you all know how well they work.

Thanks![/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
  2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats a heck of a deal. Thanks for sharing. Give us a report on how the work out for ya. Good luck.

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I usually get the Beacon versions at wally world. Low price.:wink:

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wild Wolf Products is the way to go. You can get 100 glowsticks cheaper than what you quoted and they last 24 hours or longer.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post.:0a27::0a27:

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Like had been posted. We have the 8" glow sticks in green the best color for night fishing. 100 per pack long lasting for $12. Plus Shipping.
    Pete

8. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Store them in the freezer, is what I've heard. They will last forever.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jimmy they have a 2 year shelf life if stored in a cool dry place. But i have a tube that was left in the boat for 2 years they still worked..:wink:
    But i also hear after using one drop it in the freezer and use it again for a few hours. But I have not tried that my self.
    Pete

10. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys!

I will give them a try. Can't go wrong at that price, though they are a bit longer than I wanted, but what the heck...

11. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Ordered! $21 shipped for a hundred of 'em! You guys saved me $8, thanks!!!

12. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Use the connectors to put them on your rods. That way you don't have to retape them on every time. Just tape the connector on your rod and slide a new glowstick in the connectors.

Attached Files:

13. Ms. Cat'n Around

Ms. Cat'n Around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro, North Carolina
    we got our 1 1/2 in. glow sticks from glow universe. we got 1000 for like 45 to 50 bucks. just thought id let yall know.

14. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I received my shipment of 8" glow sticks from Wild Wolf today. I am very pleased with them so far. :wink:

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I just won the Wild Wolf contest and received my glow sticks a week or so ago. I gotta say, I've been through all the cheaper sticks and they work, but nothing comes close to Wild Wolfs. Them things were still glowing 36 hours later in my truck, not super bright but bright enough to get me through 2 hours of morning fishing till day light.

The multi-colored ones are junk compared to the green ones from W.W. Like the testimonies say...you can see them a long way away and all night long,,,no fading out. During winter I will use up 2 cheap sticks all night...not anymore.

I'm not saying this because he is a sponsor, I'm saying it because its a dam good product and I encourage those who use the cheap ones to just try his once.....I promise you wont ever go back.

I'm glad I won, other wise I would have never known ; )

I also use electrical tape to tape the connector on.

Pete, if ya wanna make a few more bucks, consider finding us something that will clip on instead of using tape. The mini sticks they sell at stores come with clip on holders but they are to small for our cat rods ; )

I leave mine taped on but I would rather take them off while fishin day hours.....less unwrapping my line from it.

-Jim-

16. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma

I use the same glow sticks, but instead of using tape or or the holders that come with the glow sticks I use zip ties or cable ties. They are smaller hold better and are cheap to use.

17. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
  18. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Do you use new ties every time ? I would think that the ties stick out more and are easier for the line to catch on to. If ya tape on the connectors, they are the same size as the glow stick, they don't stick out.

Next time ya have the chance take a pic for us..I'm up for anything that works but so far tape has been the best. It does not move and I've had them ( connectors ) on there for months,,,fishin in the rain and all.

I still really want a clip on type,, then I will be happy, LOL

-Jim-

19. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    i found some clear tubing that i taped on the tip, that the glow stick fits in snug. so all i have to change the stick.

20. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    The 8" sticks (bracelets) that Wild Wolf sells come with the little plastic connectors. So like cat'n around mentioned, you can attach them to your rod and just change out the stick.

I am very happy with his (WW) products. 100 of them for $20 shipped. That's about the cheapest price you're going to find anywhere, and they are excellent quality. I got a solid 8 hours out of them. This is at near full brightness. They WILL last much longer, though not as bright.

I was using them to make a home made lighted bobber, and the sticks are bright enough to cast a green hue on the water.

One drawback I found. They are VERY fragile. The inner glass tube will break very easily, activating the stick. So handle them with care or you might end up wasting some before you're ready to use them.