Rod tip bells?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Muleskinner, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Muleskinner

Muleskinner New Member

State:
    Ms.
    When fishing especially at night time when your vision is limited, and your using more than one pole. Do you use the little bell on your rod tip? Are do you just try and watch all of them? I have seen some people also uses the rods with the fluorescent tips. What do you find that works best for you?

2. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I just watch the poles with a little light from my lantern.

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i use a bell on each of my poles since i always fish with multiple poles it can get kindda hard to make sure you have all of them covered. you just have to make sure you have it angled right to where youll be able to hear the slightest movment of the bell. also you gotta remember to take the bell off before casting, ive lost my share of bells in my fishin days:embarassed:

4. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    I've been using them this year. Really helps with lite bites, use them day and night. Always hate to miss a bite when I''m reaching for a snack.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I used the bells before, but every time I would grab my pole to set the hook, the beels would fly off. Or I would forget and cast them into the water. I used glow sticks now. I can see my rod action from farther away. I use the larger ones and just use some electrical tape to secure them to the end of my rod.

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i just use the lantern and my rods.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use the bait clickers for night fishing. I tried the bells but had multiple problems with them.

8. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    A older gentleman I often fish with at night uses them but he pulls slack into his line between the reel and the first eye and hangs the bell on the line. When he gets a hard bite the bell jumps off the line and alerts him or if a soft slow pull he can see it from the lantern he has hanging behind him. Works for him real well.

I tried his idea but used a bobber with a long shanked brass hook clipped into the little hook on the bobber. Then attached a inch and a half glow stick to the bobber and hung off the line using the hook. That worked quite well also.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I either use my clicker or just watch the rods i now use white rods for night fishing though

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like the glow sticks from Mr. Coffee they burn over 12 hours and cost pennies.

11. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I just put a little reflective tape on my rod tips. Any type of light will make them glow. Bait clickers on reels work the best.

12. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I love to use the little bells. Especially if I am fishing for crappie at the same time.

13. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have tried to use them, but like some other folks have mentioned, I have not had too much success.

I seem to launch them off behind me when I set the hook, then I have to try to find them afterwards, and if it's dark, that is sometime almost futile.

One thing to try is to attach the bell to a small twig, about three of four inches from the tip of the twig. Then, pull your line from between the reel and the first line guide down and place the twig with the bell on the ground with the line just under the tip of the twig, the twig will hold down the line and give little or no resistance to the fish when it takes the bait. When the line gets pulled, the twig flips up and the bell rings and both the twig and bell fall right there on the ground under the rod almost where you put it.

I also use the clicker and a glow light stick on the rod, that way at least one of the three will hopefully get my attention.

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I tried the bells this past year and liked the idea cause sometimes while busy doing other things like rigging another rod, answering the call of nature, etc. its easy to miss a bite and the bells alert you to the strike. I had problems with the bells however. The ones I bought were poorly made, they had a spring clip for attaching to the rod and most of them fell apart real fast. Second problem was remembering to remove them while casting as I sent a few to the bottom of the river and I also had a issue with my line getting caught in them when setting a hook. I have to re-evaluate how I was using them and see if I can find a better way to incorporate them in my night fishing setup cause I do like the idea. I also tape glow sticks on my rod tips at night.

15. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I use glow sticks or lantern light now. Have a couple of bells that I have used that my father gave to me years ago. Probably antique by now. Made very sturdy.

16. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had a small bell and the first time I had it I dropped it in the muddy water and couldn't find it. Next time I get a bell I will try it since I'm usually not close to my rod.

17. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    thill makes a nice little led light about an1/8" dia. and an 1" long that clips on your rod tip and it turns off and on bu pulling and pushing the tip.ive used 2 or 3 for a couple 2 years know and they still work.they have 3-4 colors but i have the best luck with red it seems the easiest to see but still use your bait clicker,the only draw back is some times its hard to tell which pole the noise belongs to.

18. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I use them and I like them, sometimes with multiple rods, kids, wife and dogs around is hard to keep an eye on the rods so the bells are a great help for me.

19. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    me personally i dont like the bells.i usually use my clicker and on my pole with no clicker i take on of them 6 inch light stick and pull out a lil slack so it hangs down and hook the stick on and when it pulls up set your hook

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    As for setting the hook, I follow the advice of a good friend, he just lets the fish hook himself. Most do that well. Of course, in an area with a lot of structure, that means the fish may tangle you up and break off before you get to him. Circle hooks also help as they are pretty much self setting, though my Kahles do a great job too.