Rod takes flight.

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by bottom_rig, May 8, 2006.

1. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    had a great couple of nights on the bank of a local river the past few weekends. the spot has been producing larger channel up to 15+lbs.
    anyway a few of our buds decided to come out for a night of catfishin with me and my main fishin partner. the one guy sets up his new rod, baits it with some cut white perch, cast it out into the channel. never fished for cat in his life. about 30 mins go by, all our bells are ringing were killin channels left and right. i notice out of the corner of my eye that the new comers rod starts going nuts, for the first time. i tell him fish on, he takes of runnin down the bank. right before he gets to the rod. boom, the thing takes flight out about 7 ft into the river. its got a rod tip light on it...and can see it moving through the water. my other friend strips to his boxers and jumps out after the rod, grabs it reels in a 36 or so inch blue. we didnt have a scale that night. but needless to say the guy whos first night it was catfishin is hooked after landing that ol blue.
    thought id share.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Now that would have been a sight to see...lol

3. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    That's awesome! I totally needed to stay out later on saturday.

My best for the day was about a 18-20 inch blue. Other than the bream and the stripes hitting all day, I can't complain.

I need to build some of those rod holders that are in the library to keep that from happening to me. Just hard to justify when you work at academy and we sell the cheap ones for about a buck a piece. :cool2:

4. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    it was actually the first blue we've pulled in in the area, glad to know they are there. its usually channels all night. it was a hell of a night

5. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yep,Have had that happen a time or two over the yrs,especially in my drinking days,set one up one time and turned to get something a beer probabley,and just as I turned swoosh!it sounded like a bottle rocket takeing off!when the reel met the "Y" in the stick,it flip up and caught me in the chin!that rod was gone in the blink of a eye!two weeks later I was at it again and hooked that rod and brought it in.still use it today.only use pvc or holders made out of old slubber frame or roveing bobbins.:big_smile:

6. arz6x2

arz6x2 New Member

State:
    missouri
    this totally happened to me one night. i was bank fishing by a fire with some buddies and my pole was leaning up against a chair. i had just baited it and casted it out there. it was leaning up against a chair within arm reach of where i was sitting. i figured that i could get the pole before a fish could do anything to it. man was i wrong. fish hit it and before i could even get my hands up out of my lap the pole was making a wake through the water. from that day on used rod holders. couldnt believe it. still wonder what size fish could hit that hard and fast....
    alex

7. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I'd like to see that happen, but not to one of my rods.lol

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Great post Mike...I good reminder to have your rods secured or be there to keep them from going swimming.:embarassed: Those Blues tend to slam the baits especially this time of year when the waters are warmer.:wink:

9. liquidblue

liquidblue New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I had that happen before. I was using a brand new 15' ugly stik with a brand new shamano Calcuta 700 and i was taking a leak and i saw my dad running the water. We use 4 foot metal stakes with 3 inch u bolt welded on to them and i had it in the sand about 2 foot and a 40 lb blue pulled it out of the ground. NEVER leave you rods unatended if you are fishing for big catfish.

10. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    i don't need a fish to pull my rods in......i throw them off the boat myself.:lol:

11. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    seen a guy lose one, just the other day.
    i warned him about leaving his pole unattended, but he didn't listen.

12. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My most memorible lost pole experience came I think last summer, might have been 2 summers ago. I was on a crappie house at a local lake. The water was about 15 foot, I setup where the sun was hitting the crappie house and not on me. It was probably 102 that day, Im talkin mid summer in Texas, hot and humid. A guy was fishing from the bank and I saw he had no drinks. I had brought a cooler with about 6 waters in it so I stood up to offer him a water and my pole shot out about 10 feet off the dock into the water. It was moving so fast it almost skipped across the surface. I fished with my other rod for hours and never got another bite.

13. Jarosh

Jarosh New Member

State:
    Culpeper, Virginia
    You only lose one rod that way before you start using quality rod holders or tying things down. While ice fishing up north I lost more than my fair share of gear down the hole after walking away for a moment.

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I haven't lost one yet, but I suppose that it's only a matter of time. I imagine that it will happen just after I cast and am trying to clear up an over run reel. lol

15. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I had that happen with areally big nedle nose gar one time it dang near pulled my canoe of the bank into the river I had to swim after the rod finally puled in a 6 foot gar. SEE YOU ON THE FISHBANK SOMETIME

16. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The same thing happened to me except it was my dad using some of my best gear. All the time he is loudly proclaiming how he had been fishing for years, and how he was catching fish when you were a baby. He knew how to secure a pole and didn't need any help for me. I just keep saying Dad "there's some big fish out here you better put another rock or two on that pole". Not 10 minutes later the pole bends down into the backbone and shoots out into the river. He didn't say another word except "you bring another pole". Now that he's been dead 20yrs that fishing trip turns out to be one of my best memories.

17. Boots28

Boots28 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have lost 2 poles in my fishing life. Both times I was fishing a Pond in a city park with my kids. Talk about mad they just go with out any warning. Needles to say, I don't take my poles when I take my kiddos to the park for fishing.

18. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I would pay to see that. Though somethign similar did happen to me carp fishing. The thing grabbed the rod from the nak and took off. I didn't have to strip to save the fish though.

19. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    had it happen 2 times in about 15 mins believe it or not first 1 took off so fast all I could do was say what the h377 the second time I was in the water before the reel got wet kids laughing wife falling over and me holdin up the rod by the tip got the fish and it wasnt very big at all maybe a 5 lb blue but he hit so fast it make ya head spin both times I was useing those cheap little spring lookin rod holder now I use nothing but pvc and it works great. lost 1 years ago out of the boat leaning it up against the side dont do that anymore either....

20. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    When I was a teenager we used to take rookies to a spot on the Mud River that had a high, (15 foot) steep, bank and large carp.

Now, this was the kind of a place where you might not get a bite for an hour or more and even though we would warn them, the rookies would always get bored and wander away from their pole.. usually just before a big ol carp would decide to "grab and run"....
    Those poles looked so pretty as they would arc through the air on their way to the bottom of the river!
    'Bout half the time the pole would be followed by a fully clothed young man in a desperate running dive off the bank to save their Dad's pole!!! SPLASH!
    Yeah, I know, it was mean..But hilarious! and we did always warn them before hand.

We still laugh over those stories late at night 'round the fire!!