Rod suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by rmoran171, Jan 3, 2008.

1. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    I use Penn 220 gto's and 209's spooled with 40lbs spider wire stealth and am looking to purchase some new rods. Does anybody have any suggestions of what rods would be best or what they prefer. Ive heard braided line and ceramic eyelets arnt a good idea. Any problems with the 8ft MH ugly stick?

2. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    nice rods ~ i would look for stainless eyes, not ceramic

3. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    ryan are you comming to ky. dam this weekend to the skip jack & breakfest. i have 8 penn reels all are on catfish safari poles. im going to bring my boat over there, if your there you can see the poles with the penns on them, you can cast them , put them in the holders , bend them over see how great these poles really are, my poles are two yrs. old & have been all over the country to diff. tourneys, plus i fish a lot, all poles look great when you take them out of the box, but you can see how well they look two yrs. down the road. good luck.....rusty

4. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Ryan,
    Id say check out the shakespeare sturdy stik big water rods. They are solid eglass with stainless guides. They are $17.50 a piece for the 6'6 medium heavy and can be purchased online at CC. rspd507

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The ugly stik tigers would be a good choice, around 55 bucks.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I second the catfish safari poles. I got mine for Christmas but I have played around with it a lot since then. I can tell you this The poles and the customer service that you get from Steve and his wife is the best that you are going to get any where. In a week I'll be add a few more of his pole to my collection.

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I Just got a Catfish Safari Flathead rod for Christmas as well... I posted in another thread, When me wife ordered it, just came just off the phone and said she didn't feel like the bought something, more like she just made a new Friend... Can't get any better than that for service.

8. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use the surge rod from catfish connection

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Ryan;
    First, WELCOME ABOARD!:big_smile:
    I may be misinterpreting what your asking but may I ask what kind of waters and species of Catfish are you looking to catch?
    There is a big difference between a Rod for the Big Rivers vs. a Rod for small lakes!
    Also, may I suggest that you take the time to visit our Archive and Library areas that contain a wealth of information about many different Rods and the conditions in which they work, and don't work under!
    If your going to use the newer Braided lines as you suggested in your question then you will want to consider getting a rod with Ceramic Guides which are a better choice because they are more resistant to wear than plain steel guides. The Fuji Concept Guides are an excellent choice because of the Alconite Ring material is thinner and lighter which will give you a better cast distance are smoother retrieve if your fishing from the bank for Channel Cats, for example.
    You will also want to consider the rod length, it's power and action type, whether or not you will be using live bait or not. All of these things go into choosing a rod not to mention how much money your planing on spending too as this is a BIG factor for most of us!:wink:
    Rods that have plain steel guides are cheaper but with the braided lines you will wear through your guides faster and will have to pay closer attention to your guides.
    Another option you might consider is some of our sponsors make a variety of Custom Rods in a variety of prices and many are very affordable! This is an option you might want to look at too.
    In short, take the time to consider your options on your Rod Choices because a Rod that is not suited to the kind of fishing your going to be doing will cause you a lot of grief! Choosing the right rod is just as important as choosing the right reel and line!
    Be a bit more specific in your Rod needs/wants and you will find the Brother's and Sister's will be better able to help you to pick out the right rod for the type of fishing your going to be doing.:big_smile:
    Again, WELCOME ABOARD the BOC. I think you will find that your life just took a change for the better! There are no better experts in Catfishing than the Brothers and Sisters of the BOC! I'm sure that your success ratio will start to improve very shortly and that you will make many friends along the way too. :big_smile:
    I'm going to do what is called "Reping" you to get you started on your Rep points. The reason I am "Reping" you is for your courage to ask your question on the open forum and for choosing to become a member of the BOC. The Best Bunch of "Catfisherpeople" on the Planet! :wink::big_smile:
    Never be afraid to ask an honest question and if you have an idea or solution/answer to someone else's question don't be afraid to post it either because you never know when someone else will be able to use the information you post or that is thinking about asking the very question that you posted!
    Take Care and Much Success! :smile2:
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I would go with the catfish safari rods too just got me a set of the lake rods. They are built very well i don't personally think you will find a better rod for the price. They have stainless eyes too.:wink:

11. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    Ed, I was pretty vauge on my question. In the past ive done most of my fishing on resivors but i am now starting to fish the ohio more for blues. I would like rods that fit my penns and braided line and are good for both blues and flathead. I primarily use shad (always live when possiable, cut if not) chubs, skipps, sunfish and suckers. I fish from a boat, rarely any bank fishing. I greatly appreciate your help and suggestions. This website is probably the most valueable tool in my tackle box now!