Rod suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Turtleracer, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Turtleracer

Turtleracer New Member

State:
    Upper So. Cal.
    I am looking for a new rod to fish for cats and strippers. The area I fish that has larger cats (12 - 20 lb range) and strippers (8 - 16 lb range). It is in the aqueduct which is like a cement lined river, water runs about 10 to 20 knots when the gates are open. It's about 30 - 40 ft wide and about 20 - 30 ft deep.

2. Turtleracer

Turtleracer New Member

State:
    Upper So. Cal.
    Sorry forgot to mention that I am going to use a simano curado 300dsv which is a low profile reel which holds approx 280 yds of 30 lb braid.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Berkley glow rods are good rods

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    check out Randys rods at black and blue tackle,they are very good rods and he will make them to do what you want it to do,they are very reasonable also,he is in the sponsors area

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If your fishing that swift of water and for that big of fish I would recommend anything HEAVY ACTION.. good luck

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I agree 100%, Kenny:wink:

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Catfish safari river rod this will handle your conditions perfectly.

8. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I use a penn mariner rod and I just bought a daiwa beefstick m/h. The Daiwa only cost $30, and It is a fantastic rod. I put my abu 6500c3 on it and it handles great in the heavy current rivers I fish.

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Depending on your budget, I am apt to point you to look at catfish safari river rods as well. I think you will like them.

10. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I have heard the safari rods are awesome. I will have to swing by there one day when I am home on leave to pick up a couple :big_smile:

11. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I can't answer this question... My wife would ground me if she thought I was fishing for "strippers!" :big_smile:

12. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have to agree:big_smile:

13. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I LIKE THE SHAAKESPEARE TIGER ROD OR THE ANERICAN RODSMITH HAMMER I THINK BOTH WILL WORK O K:big_smile:

GOOD LUCK A LOT INFO HERE

14. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    if youre looking for something a little cheaper, go with an uglystick catfish rod....i've taken mine out to the peirs for salmon and have launched 3/4 oz spoons a mile with a musky baitcaster......then just get strange looks as i reel in a 20 lb salmon like it's a bass, most guys out there play the fish till it's almost dead....then again most of the time i release them...the faster it gets in, the better off the fish is....i also get funny lucks from the peir rats after tossing in a fish lol.....the rods have a softer tip, but it's great for casting and they can take a beating....