Rod strength: 1-piece vs. 2-piece ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kyron4, May 21, 2006.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hello, are two piece rod any less stronger than a one piece of the same rod ? I have a 6'6" Ugly Stik Med. Hvy. two piece casting rod. I wanted the one piece ,but Walmart only had the two piece. It seems strong enough. Should I have got the one piece instead ? :sad2: Any input, opinions, or comments ? -Thanks

2. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I am sure that somewhere it is proven scientifically which is stronger. I do not know which one. It is actually a matter of preference. I personally prefer the one piece. This is because in the past I have had two ends come off while casting, one I lost. Now, if you are buying for ease of storage, absolutely the two piece. But over time, disassembly and reassembly of the pieces they will become worn and if not repaired, usually a wrap of plumbers tape, you can lose the end while casting.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Using logic, anytime something is made in one piece, it is stronger than a counterpart made in several pieces. However, and this is just my opinion, most people are not going to catch a catfish big enough to destroy a sectional rod. I know we have members who catch 40, 50, 60 and possibly larger cats each year...but with a membership of nearly 6000, how many of the members catch the large fish...maybe 10% (although I'd think its even less than that). I would venture to say it depends upon what YOU do once you have the large fish on the pole...the pole, line, and reel, by and by, will take care of themselves. They aren't the one who forgets to put on reel lube, test the line for frayed spots, or inspect the eyes on the pole for wear. Do your part, your equipment will do its part.

4. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i read once upon a time in field & stream that the ferrule is a definite weak point for two peice rods and from expirience i've broken 3 rods in the last few years and they were all two piece. i've never broken a one piece rod and idk anyone that has but if a two piece has always worked for you than dont fix a broken rod

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would assume the one piece rods would be stronger since the 2 piece rods would have a weak spot where they meet. JMO.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, my fishing buddy broke his one piece rod yesterday, about 10" from the tip. Know what he did... he picked his pole up by the reel and bink, there was a two piece pole where before it was a one piece. Think it goes with that old saying that stuff happens. When one is gonna break, it don't matter if it is a one piece, a two piece or a three piece. If the tip flies off, the first think I'd suspect is I did a poor job of joining the rod together. If it gets nicked by the anchor, it may well break at that point the next time it is under a strain. I believe that's what happened to his...point is, if you take care of your equipment, it shouldn't matter if you have a one piece or a two piece.

7. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Most times if a rod breaks it's because it is being used with a lot heavier line than what it was designed for. Take a rod that is rated for a maximum of 30 lbs and put eighty on it, the line is stronger and the pole is the weak point, if the reel can handle the heavier weight line. There is always a weak link, be it line, leader, reel or rod.

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Let me add operator to your conclusions an I think we got em.
    Don

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I'm getting all two piecers from here on out. You can fit them in a car/truck cab if you need to lock them up and they don't get slammed in the door when you do it. It seems like i always need to do something when I get to the fishin spot and I can't keep an eye on my poles in the back of the truck.

This way I won't need to buy new ones when gas hits $4 and everyone is driving weiner cars around!

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've got about equal numbers of each. In my opinion they are both good if taken care of I have broken rod by screendoor, overstress when snagged,stepped on but only one from to big a fish 8lb channe on ultra lite gill pole 4lb test. the fish stripped all the line before i could react. broke pole but still chaxed him down and netted him. that's how i know 8lbs. Eagle claw TW202 5ft. spinning rod zebco 144 trigger reel. i really liked that old rod. and can't find a suitable replacement yet. also broke berkley equaliser on second big bluegill it caught. I will try another brand.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    In 55+ years of fishing,I have seen ABUSE damage and destroy more fishing equipment than all of the other reasons put together.Most of the time when the front half of a two piece rod is slung off and lost when casting is because the line caught on the rod.The line had to break,or you would not lose the front piece.Your line would still be strung through the guides on the rod,had it simply come lose.This would simply break off the tip of a one piece rod.Think about it.How can you lose it without the line breaking?No,I was not smart enough to figure this out.After finding the second tip half of a rod at low water with the line tangled on the guides,it sort of struck me.Think about it,or get out in the yard and try it.peewee-williams

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Think The One Piece Rod Would Be Stronger But I Think The 2 Piece Will Work Fine For You.

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I think it would depend on your situation.
    If you were looking to catch 50 lbers, I think I personaly would be worried about it. If not, I would imagine it would be more than fine.

14. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd say the biggest fish I'd catch might tip the scales at 20 lbs.; average being 8-15 lbs.

I checked Ugly Stik site, says their ferruless design make their two-piece rods as strong as the one piece , not sure what that means or if it's true.

15. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    A 2 peace rod is weakest at the joint or Farrell. Does this mean it is weaker than a one peace? Well if you ask me yes. Here is why; a one peace rod has a smooth continuous curve while loaded with a fish where a 2 peace rod will have a flat spot where it is jointed together. This flat spot causes the rod not to load and stress equally by putting extra pressure just before and just after the joint. This is why most 2 peace rods will break either before or after the joint and a 1 peace will break at the tip or reel seat area. The tip do to over loading the tip and the reel seat area because of the “no-give zone” cause by the reel seat and grips on the rod itself.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go back into the fishing equipment thread or the library and you will find this same discussion about two months ago.If someone more talented than I can go there and bring back the discussion on ferrules for this young man I think he would appreciate it.For all intents an purposes the MODERN glass to glass or graphite to graphite ferrule eliminated all dead spots and problems that the old metal ones had.I fish both and catch a fair number of large fish in the 40-50lb range and have never had a problem.PROPER care and use is all that matters as with everything.:smile2:

17. D.I.P.

D.I.P. New Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I've Never Had Trouble With My Two Piece Ugly Sticks Beaking.but I Had A 40+ Lb. Striper On My One Piece Ugly Stick Med. Action In Tail Waters And It Didn't Break When It Should Have.i'm Sure If It Was A Two Piece It Would Have Broke.my Pole Was Bent So Bad The Real Was About To Come Out Of The Butt.so For Fish Over 30 Pounds I Would Use A One Piece.

18. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have 2 piece rods primarily and have never broke a rod while playing a fish! (LULCKY, Maybe!!!) I feel that a 1 piece has the attributes that Gator and others have stated. He for one is a rod builder and applies working knowledge to his reply. I have fished for many years as well and have found that is a problem that has not befeld me! I have broken rods at the tip and further down due to poor care and other accidents, but a 2 piece rod has proven to be the rod of choice for me. My last rod to break was at the back section and it was during a cast. This was a graphite rod and after futher examination, I determined that it had been crushed in the transport. My Fault not the rod! I vote for 2 piece for transportablility and also for its strength. JMHO!

HOPPY4

19. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    Like Gator I build my own rods, and I agree the 2 piece will not load as equally as a 1 piece. I have never heard of the glass to glass or graphite to graphite theory, in my opinion the joint no matter what will create the flat spot.
    On the other hand I have built 2 piece rods for people who perfer them for the reasons others have stated, transporting, storage, what your using it for etc.
    You basicly get what you pay for if you pay the price for a top quality 2 piece rod it will out perform and should out last a cheap 1 piece.
    That said I use all 1 piece rods - just my preference.

20. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like the one piece also, but all they had was the two-piece; then I find the same rod in one piece in the next town over. Can't see buying the same rod again for no reason.Ugly Stick are tough enough it seems one or two pieces. Seems 50/50 on this topic :crazy: