Rod storage

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by ka_c4_boom, Jan 30, 2007.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    how do you store your rods when yer done fishing ?
    mine are wrapped up nice and neet in a way i can rig them up fast on the next outing , tangle free and ready to go . i pull the hook down and hook it to my reel then wrap the weight line around the rod several times above and below the reel it keeps it tangle free and the hook from being exposed .
    im always putting down my brother but thats what brothers do :lol: he leaves his rods a mess but says there not that way less he moves them to another boat :lol: he insists on hooking thru an eye and leaveing the weight line swingin , weve got 7 rods a piece iv seen him so upset from the mess after moving his rods to my boat that he's cut the weights off and retied , while i was busy catching fish :lol: no mess no hassle and the hook is in the same place every time the weights wrapped the same way and ready to be baited and cast out . just thought id ask to see yalls methods .
    love ya vern :lol:

Attached Files:

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, mine are in my shed in shambles. Just kinda piled in a corner. Not tangled up, but just leaned up against the wall with the hook through the eye as you described. I do get them all lined out before I go fishing though as I too have a friend who spends the first half hour or so rigging up after we reach our destination. It's not uncommon for me to land a fish before he wets a line.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Charles I do mine the same as you always have allways will if it works why change?

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I pretty much do the same thing with a twist. After wrappin the line around the rod I use one of those spring loaded hair clips. Just squeeze it open put the sinker and rod in the middle and shut it with one of the eyes inside. I know ya have seen em. Women use em to kida bunch their hair up in the back of thier heads. Keeps the sinker from flopin around or slidein if ya use no rolls. Also keep things pretty much squared away in the truck also.

5. Winkstr

Winkstr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I do like your brother except I have a sided velcro wire tie (available at most auto parts stores) that is wrapped around the pole and where ever the sinker lands I slide the tie up and wrap the velcro around the sinker. Have used this setup this last year and works fine. Prior to this set up I use to put the hook on the eye and then wrapped the sinker line around the pole (similar to your way) and then tucked the sinker under the line that runs through the eye. It works great! Except my eyes are not what they use to be and trying to figure out which line the sinker goes under in low light or dark conditions made me change.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Pretty easy I don't fish with a 3 way.. just hook the line onto the reel and reel up the slack.

7. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Yep Charles, I'm with you I want to grab my rod and put the bait on and, BAM, I'm fishin already. It takes a little time to keep it neat but worth it, to me.

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Yup, I do pretty much the same thing as John. The only difference is I put mine up on a modified gun/rifel rack. All ready to go though. Thanks!:wink:

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the ideas everyone.With this weather around here in single digits at night,Ive been cleaning and reespooling most of my rigs waiting on some warmer temps.Have a great day.:cool2:

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I should mention that when I'm storing my gear for the winter months, I almost ALWAYS use those "socks" and rod tubes and keep them in my gun safe. To much money invested in them to pile them in a corner in the shed. :wink:

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    How about carrying them in a pickup. All my rods are one piece, 7ft or longer. I've been thinking about building a rod case to hang from my kayak racks to put the rods in, lock them up. Anyone have any ideas?

12. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Maybe sections of vinyl downspout will work???

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    10 inch pvc capped on one end and screw on cap on the other for access should hold 4 or 5 rods as far as locking it check below . good luck let us know what you do

Attached Files:

14. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I usually break my two piece rods down with the female end of the top piece at the the butt end with two rubber bands. Usually I leave the hook on the first guide nearer the female end of the top piece. I remove the sinker that is usually on a fish finder to avoid damaging the guides and the blank.

15. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am usually so pissed that I did not catch any fish, I just throw them SOB's wherever they land, that is where they stay until I am ready to try again! LOL:wink: :big_smile:

About a month ago I did learn a valuable lesson though. One night after a very late night, I got home, did not feel like doing a whole lot so I just took my rods out of the boat, and leaned them up against the car port. One rod still had a large shiner on the hook, I looked at it, and did not even think. About 4:30 that morning, I heard such a commotion outside, jumped out of bed and my rods were all laying on the ground, one of them sliding down the driveway.

Sure enough, a stray cat had tried to eat that shiner, and hooked himself. You talk about a fight, here I am in my "jammies" chasing this darn wild cat down the road with my rod in the air, trying to get close enough to the cat without hurting it, finally just got as close as I could and cut the line.

I have seen the cat a few times since then, he is fine, I learned never leave any bait on a hook, no matter what!:confused2:

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah jeff and always empty the live well before leaving the water :lol: one day last summer the wife came in from work and asked if something died in my boat buzzards had taken up residence on it good thing the fish from 3 days before had cleaned my hooks before i left the river

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Yeah! that has happened to me before with a racoon. My bait was still alive when I wanted to go to bed so I stuck my baited hook back in the bait bucket put the lid on let out some line and leaned the rod against the camper and went to bed. I got lucky and didnt have to chase mine down though.

18. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    curly-haired dog + crankbait = drag-screaming runs!
    Hahahaha! When I just started bass fishing this little dog started nipping at my legs so when I tried to use the pole to back it away it just ran alongside the crankbait and the fight was on! Haha it didn't cut the dog at all, just got caught up in the fur....:lol: Untangled him and let em run back home... surely didn't mess with me anymore! I'm pretty sure it was a little shitzu (sp?) hahaha

19. rocket256

rocket256 Well-Known Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    McGill
    I like to store my rods on my boat. But; before I put them in there I take the hook and hook it threw the last guide. Then take the line and criscross it over the guides.

20. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    With the heavy weights we use, i've always either cut the weights off til next trip or if i was going out again soon i'd wrap them around the rod and lay them carefully in the rod box. I always hook the hook on the bottom rail of my reels so that the hook is not hooked on the rod, i've heard of damaging eyes etc with the hook so i try not to take a risk of damaging my rods.

Now if we are just moving we just turn the locks on the cabela 360s and move. They ride with the weights wrapped up just fine.....